Need help NTLDR missing Windows 98

• trob4669
  • Born
  • Born
  • trob4669

Post 3+ Months Ago

wifes computer started up after a short power outage as did mine. Hers has the following errors: NT LDR is missing, Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Not Detected, Auto-Detecting Pri-Slave...Press ESC to abort. I have tried booting from the floppy drive with a boot disk...no success. She is running Windows 98. Please help!

Tim
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try taking out the harddrive and trying it in a different computer. Try different IDE cables and power cables in her computer.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a little odd, Tim. Windows 98 doesn't use NTLDR. That's an NT or Win2k or XP thing.

Let's start here and see if the instructions in the third paragraph help:

http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NTLDR.html

Quote:
To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.
  • trob4669
  • Born
  • Born
  • trob4669

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tried the windows boot floppy and got the following:
Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may or may not help, but won't hurt anything. Unplug your computer. Open your computer box and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds. The CMOS battery is the small flat, round lithium battery. Plug it back in, close the box and reboot (without the startup disk in the floppy drive). This should reset your CMOS settings to defaults. That may take care of it. If it does, you will need to reset your clock to the correct date and time after Windows loads.

If it doesn't we can go from there. But that would be the next thing that I would do.
  • trob4669
  • Born
  • Born
  • trob4669

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much for helping out. I will give that a try and post if it works or not.
  • trob4669
  • Born
  • Born
  • trob4669

Post 3+ Months Ago

It worked!!!! I can't thank you enough. If you're ever in Orlando, let me know and dinner for you will be on me.
Thanks ever so much,
Tim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will. (It will probably be some time though. I'd love to go and hook up with you and Axe and a few others sometime. (Once I hit the lottery *grins).

Glad it solved your problem. I had a problem a couple weeks ago where it wouldn't recognize the hard drives. After about 6 hours of frustrating myself with it, I did the same thing I suggested to you and it worked just as quickly and easily. I was talking to an old teacher a couple nights ago and told him about that, and he said "yep! That's the first thing I do anymore -- it usually takes care of it". Anyway, I'm glad you're back in business. Welcome to OZZU!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts