Need IP help

• hollaback04
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hollaback04

Post 3+ Months Ago

i need some help for keepin my ip the same, if i disconnect my connection than my ip changes, is there a software i could do that? im on dsl. any helps would be appraciated thx! :P :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

more details required, what operating system, and IP are you using, are you connecting to a dsl box or through a lan?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hollaback04 - Please make better subject lines in your posts. You've been with us long enough to see that. A good subject line will give people a better idea of what you are looking for and also asist the search engines in providing more people help who have similar problems. Thanks.

In regards to the problem -- agreed - more info is needed.
  • hollaback04
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hollaback04

Post 3+ Months Ago

im runnin on xp i just connect to my modem without router
my client IP: 66.122.135.233 and server is 66.122.135.254
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The IP lease is provided by your ISP's DHCP server. It seems a bit odd to me that it renews your lease after every session. Truthfully I didn't even know that was possible. THe bottom line is, there's nothing you can do about it given what you just told us. You could probably ask your ISP provider, but I doubt they will change their entire setup just for you.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also pretty sure they have a block of addresses that are static, that they can dishout to customers ;) so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to see if you can get a static address. Only one other question do you need a static IP address?
  • Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why would you want a static ip? to run a server?

If so, you can always use tzo.com or dyndns.org to assign a static hostname to your dynamic ip.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont think that your isp would give u static ip, i think you can do it manually, but the next time u will log in by creating dialup connection, you will have some errors, and u wont be able to search the net,
not sure if some more tricks exists.

amer
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, they won't give you a static IP unless you're on some kinda business plan (which usually starts at around $200-250/mo).
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

i though it was more cheaper then that...lol !!!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, with a static IP, they want you to purchase a minimum level of service - which has a much higher bandwidth & speed limit than regular residential cablemodem/DSL, and they usually also provide you with 5 static IP addresses..

Basically, it's an all-or-nothing deal.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it depends on how many class C and B's the ISP has if they have an abundant amount of let say three class C's and only one hundred customers then they have an abundance of extra Public Static IP addresses ;)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast has their pro plan which gives you a static IP and an extra 500k in bandwidth for $99 a month. My IP hasn't changed since joining them almost 2 years ago, at least that I have noticed but I really don't pay that much attention.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have bellsouth and its probably the most diverse isp ill explain why . . . there are two ways to have a static ip one is contect your isp and itll supply you with one it will be a business plan with bellsouth that runs about $65 the other isnt garanteed and only works if your modem allows you too some modems such as the westell modems bellsouth uses are self powered like routers and are always online unless there is a power outage or you reset the modem you wont be issued a new ip becuase your session deosnt end but if you dont need a static ip your better off without it
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

OR you could just never disconnect

by leaving your computer on 24/7 or getting a router
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could but like ai said before any power outages comp problems or isp server probs and you ip changes

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts