Do I need a new OS when I purchase a new Mobo?

• Nohealzforu
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nohealzforu

Post 3+ Months Ago

These are the the components I'm looking at purchasing. I'm having a Friend build my system for me and I was just curious if the hard drive I have now with windows XP will just plug into the new Mobo and work like that or if I will need to get a new HD and install a new OS on it. (I was kind of looking for a reason to get Vista 64 anyways) I was also going to use my CD/DVD Drives from my old system as well instead of purchasing new ones. Will those just plug and play with my new Mobo or will I need to find the CDs that they came with from years ago? Thanks for all the help in advance.

P.S. I'm a newb with the computer lingo so anything put into newb terms would be appreciated :P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131284 Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115041

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220334

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139006
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The old hard drive with the OS will work, however, be sure to have all the new hardware drivers handy, as well as drivers for any of your old hardware you plan to keep, because you'll need to install them, and the first time you boot to Windows it's going to tell you you'll have to activate. You won't be able to activate online because your network adapter drivers won't be installed yet. Try to activate online. Know that it will fail, but there will be instructions on how to call Microsoft. You may need your OS product key when you call so have it available. Microsoft is actually very efficient with their activation over the phone. You shouldn't have any issues.

After you've activated you'll be able to login with your existing login and install the correct drivers for the new hardware. I just did this same thing last week with a laptop and it was pretty painless.
  • Nohealzforu
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nohealzforu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick reply. That was nothing short of amazing. If I can be bothersome for one more second though, is Vista as bad as some people say or is it that they probably just do not like the change from XP to Vista? I've heard some horror stories but I've also heard from a few friends that they love it and would go back to XP.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

From conversations I've had and things I've read, Vista Business is a better choice than Vista home. grinch has frequently stated here that he's never had problems with Vista.

Home users are the ones that have more frequent problems because they just don't know what to do with it. If you decide to go with Vista 64, then make sure your hardware is all 64 bit compatible. Also realize that some software still may not work, or work without glitches on a 64 bit system.

I do like 64 bit. My 64bit server runs way more efficiently than my 32bit but I have encountered circumstances where I had to install softare on the 32 bit vs the 64 bit due to compatability.
  • paul8368
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • paul8368
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main issue with vista 64 as ATNO/TW says is compatibility. I would recommend you go for 32 bit unless you know all the drivers you need are available in the 64 bit version. Depends really on what you are doing with the machine since the performance improvement can be substantial provided you have the drivers to make it work.
  • Jimcurtz
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jimcurtz

Post 3+ Months Ago

But there is one thing more, that these kinds of new software are too expensive and it is not in reach of every person and one thing more, that these kinds of software must be platform free.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimcurtz wrote:
But there is one thing more, that these kinds of new software are too expensive and it is not in reach of every person and one thing more, that these kinds of software must be platform free.

What?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Jimcurtz wrote:

What?

echo = "What?";

//tree within a cake? echo = "What?";
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Jimcurtz wrote:

What?

Basically they must be able to run everywhere, on the floor, in a tree, on a browser, on a whiteboard ... everywhere ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:banghead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts