Need recommendation for best firewall.

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will anyone give me a suggestion, recommendation, or point me to a review of the best firewall for Windows 2003 Server? Our data in this server computer is very important and I like to install a firewall in it. Here's the environment. This particular server get its IP address from the campus DHCP server. It is a static IP. This server is also capable of accessing the Internet. It is not possible that we can put this server under our own DHCP server where it become a local computer in our little network so that even campus tech people will not see it. Therefore, I need a firewall that will allow all our desktop computers to access this server but keep anyone and/or any computer out very much like ZoneAlarm. Currently we use ZoneAlarm but I'm not sure if that is adequate. We also consider using hardware firewall, but I wonder if that is too hard to setup and costly to mantain.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

ljCharlie 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know itf this has anything to do with your question but can get some encryption tool and then add a password to that folder(s)

i'd really reccommend zonealarm :wink:

i'd probally be helpful if
i also think i'd be good(if the server os doesn't alread have this) to have a monitor tool and tell it to record every activity on that server and the computers
windows xp pro would be good too :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive been using zone alarm for years and years and its a fabulous product. The free version has kept my computer safe from all kinds of norty people out there :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

In terms of software firewalls, you aren't going to get much better than
ZoneAlarm Pro. I would highly recommend that product in every way.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree http://www.grc.com rocks!!! So many goodies and info on protecting your computers from the bad guys!! :D
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for all your responses. I'll take that into consideration once we got the new server.

ljCharlie

P.S.

Merry Christmas to you all!!
:lol: :P :wink:
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...I use norton personal firewall but it seems everybody uses zone alarm. Should i switch?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you looking for a software firewall or a hardware firewall, if it is hardware you could try a cisco pix firewall, or a linksys cable DSL router. If software I'm with UNFLUX with the zonealarm. Enjoy :D
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first I was thinking of the Cisco PIX but it seemed very complicated and perhaps cost too much. That is why I think a software firewall will be more suitable. This is not for my personal use. It is for a small network nonprofit organization.

What about the ZoneLab's Integrity for enterprise? It seemed that this version is more of what I wanted. However, I have not used it before. Anyone have any idea on that?

ljCharlie
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out http://www.icsalabs.com/ they have pretty much all the firewalls that have passed various test.

All in all it really depends on what you want to be able to let in and from what direction.

If this server is purely a file, print & basic application server then just allowing your internal range to access the server should be enough.

IF your running Windows 2003 server the security that's available out of the box is far better than previous versions.

RRAS service can do as i mentioned above without any additional software or hardware.

Best scenario would be to have an appliance - be it a pc or dedicated "Hardware" firewall in between your server and the outsie world.

Any question do not hesitate to ask.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts