I need some help with Windows XP errors.

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every since i installed Windows XP Professional a couple of months ago i been getting this errors. First, i can't get access to Outlook Express if you want me to i could post the error about that. Well, these are the errors i'm getting for other things. When i click on my yahoo messenger to check my i can't access it that way. I have to use Mozilla or Internet Explorer to access it by typing http://www.yahoo.com and this is the error i'm getting.

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel. I don't know what program is associate with it.

The other error i'm getting is when i go to the start menu and go to help and support. I get this error.

Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, clcik the start button, and then click search. I never got these errors in windows XP home edition. Windows XP home freezes up when i had it on my computer but never got this errors. So i don't what to do. I figure if i post it in here someone can help me.

Thanks for any help.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure. Did you always get those errors right from day 1 on install? Did you mess around with settings and maybe messed something up?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds to me like you may have a virus man... the helpctr.exe file doesnt sound like a windows standard file.. if it were windows it would probably be more like "help center.hlp" or something similar..

as far as the error you are gettting, do a system restore back to the day you installed if you have to. cuz i have never heard of this error. and i doubt it has something to do with a fresh install of windows xp
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q228903

did a google and see that hlpctr.exe is not a virus but rather a support file for a compaq printer (AKA lexmark) turns out it is not compatible with xp.. go to compaq's website for updated xp drivers...
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

What drivers do i need from compaq website? I don't see anything on to restore my computer back to day 1. yes i always got these errors. no i didn't mess anything up. Do i have a virus? Can someone help me remove it if i do have a virus?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to read what Gadget Guru already wrote dsantamassino12 before you jump to conclusions.

Gadget Guru wrote:

did a google and see that hlpctr.exe is
not a virusbut rather...
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ditto
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree Gadget Gurur. I can't find nothing. Very few answers comes up. Can we assume that it's a virus and search for it? I did a google search and askjeeves. askjeeves didn't even have nothing.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

No We can't assume it is a virus because, (once again) i searched for that file name on google and found it to be a compaq printer driver.. ( im getting an echo in this room)

if your not running any virus protection software i reccomend you run down to wally mart and grab you a copy of norton antivirus 2003
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Norton Internet Security 2002. I'm pretty sure that's for a virus. Will that work? I'm going to install that now.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, no internet security is a firewall does not do anything for viruses.. norton system works however is a package that comes with various programs and include the firewall as well as antivirus, but they are still seperate programs.. might wanna install the AV
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

im off to bed good night.. hope you figure itout.. have a good Easter sunday
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok guys... I'm going to post the results when i did a virus scan on my computer.

Summary. No infection found
Scan time 8 minute(s) 30 second(s)

Action:
Scanned:
Infected:
Repaired:
Quarantined:
Deleted:

Files

Master Boot Record
-
-

Boot Record
-
-

Take a look at this. I don't think i have a virus. again that what i think.. maybe you guys can tell me something different after you look at the results..
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

hlpctr.exe is a compaq proggy. you don't have a virus, you simply are
missing a file XP thinks it needs.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok just right now, for some reason it won't let me access it by the start menu but it will let me access when i use the search box for helpctr.exe. That's really strange to me.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i figured it out. I was getting the errors because some of the files was not in installed through my installation. I reinstalled XP today and i made sure all the files will be installed. Now i do have access to help and support. I can use yahoo messenger to check my yahoo e-mail. I can use Outlook Express. all that didn't work before because of the files.
  • midnightangel6967
  • Born
  • Born
  • midnightangel6967
  • Loc: north carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am haveing the same problem with my yahoo profile and it says the same thing ,,,,,,,but my computer is brand new out of the boxand it came with windows XP already installed on it and it is giving me the same trouble :cry:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts