Network and internet connection dropping. DHCP Problems?

• Clarkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Clarkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I manage a small network and I am running DHCP and DNS on the primary server. What is happening is throughout the day all machines lose connection to the internet, for example messenger signs out and then back in. I think that when this happens we also lose connection to network resources. A colleague has an IP monitor software and he tells me that it will lose the IP for a matter of seconds and then re find it again. It seems to be the same for all users and only for a few seconds. Any ideas or fixes would be much appreciated, many thanks for your time.

Ta John
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What server OS? Is it just a loss of internet connection, or do you also lose LAN connection as well? Is this at random intervals, or does it happen simultaneously with all users? What is your DHCP Lease duration set to?
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

If all users lose it at once, then it sounds like a hardware connectivity device, like your switch, dropping the connection.

Does the server ever lose internet connectivity?
  • Clarkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Clarkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The DHCP server is running under Windows 2000. Users are losing both Internet connection and LAN access. But only a split second long enough to knock out installing a program across the network or signs messenger out. I have not noticed this on the server. How would I find out my lease duration? Thanks for your help.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your server goto
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> DHCP
In the left pane open the branches to show your Ip scope (it should look someting like Scope (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) Scope 1)
Right click on the scope and click properties
In the next window you'll find the lease duration under Lease duration for DHCP clients
  • Clarkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Clarkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Lease duration is set to 7 Days is this a normal amount?
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

7 days is fine for a LAN.

The problem you are describing doesn't sound like a DHCP problem. Once a PC is assigned an IP, it won't lose it until the lease is up. Half way through the lease it will try to renew, but even if it can't it will not release/forget/lose the IP for any reason until the lease expires.

How many users are on the network?

Are you set up as a domain or a workgroup? If a workgroup are the PC's mostly NT/2k/XP machines?

Equipment (hub/NIC) - How old? What speed? 10baseT? 100baseT?

Look at your Hub/Switch(s) is there a collision light? Does it light up? how often?

Sounds like the problem is hub. that doesn't mean the hub is bad, could be a bad NIC that is causeing a broadcast storm overwhelming the hub, could be a cooling issue and you have an overheated hub, could be a number of other things. Give us some background on your network.
  • Clarkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Clarkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 25 users on the netowrk, half connect remotly through laptops and a VPN. Majority of machines are set to Domains and all onsite machines are in the Domain. PC's are cross platforms 98/XP.

In regards to hubs and switches, the main switch is a 3com superstack, the link down to the second switch leaves via port 26 the down port (1 of 2 seperate from the others). The 2nd switch is also a 3com, both are 10/100. I cant see any collision but a lot of 10 base and 100 base mixed.
Not sure of the age but last couple of years. I have only managed here for 5 months. All lights on the switches blink at the same time on and off together.

Hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts