Network Booting Windows

• NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

My son has a computer in his room, which has no cd/dvd drive, i have just bought a new higher capacity hard drive for it and now need to reinstall windows on to it, i would prefer to do this over the network rather than buy a external cd drive.

I have two computers connected to my router, the one needing Windows and my laptop which has the Windows cd which i am trying to get the other computer to boot from. When i press F1 (to "network service boot") it gets an address via DHCP, but then i get the error "PXE E 53, no boot file name recieved"

Would someone like to explain how i actually install Windows over a network, or what i am doing wrong. I have searched google, but just get sites trying to sell products.

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to use something like RIS (remote installation services) which is available on Windows 2003 Server. Or BDD (business desktop deployment) which again requires Windows Server 2003 or 2008 or Vista. This also requires WDS (Windows deployment services) which is available on Windows Server editions.

What you are trying to do will not work with your current setup and without purchasing a third part application.
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply,

I have Vista on my laptop, so is it possible, with 3rd party apps? open source preferred.
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thought if that is not possible. I have an old desktop (that has a cd drive) that i could put the new HD into install windows then put in the other computer, would this work?

(reason i can not put that cd drive in the other is because it is a Compaq Ipaq)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Vista method is only for migrating and deploying Vista and requires more than just BDD.

Installing XP on the old desktop will not work due to the difference in hardware. You will definitely have compatibility issues, driver issues and more of a mess to deal with.

Are you trying to install XP to an iPaq? Isn't that a hand held PC? Don't those require Windows Mobile OS?
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah well, i will just buy a external drive for it. Its not a hand held, it is this one..

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... l%26sa%3DN

extremly quite so is ok to leave on while he sleeps.

Thanks for the help
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting an external cd/dvd drive will be a good idea. Then he could use it to watch movies if it is a DVD drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts