Network Computers Dropping DNS

• JKool
  • JKool
  • Loc: Marietta, OH

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have three computers that continually have to /release then /renew their IP addresses in order to view web pages. No other machines are having this problem and their is no obvious common thread between the machines that are having the problem

I have to do this 3 to 4 times a day and its getting very old. There seems to be nothing that causes the problem, meaning, I've not noticed an occurrence that results in the computers inability to browse the internet.

We have Yahoo IM and this problem doesn't effect IM. Its stays online with no interruptions until I /release the IP address. We also use Outlook and it is effected by the problem. No emails come in until are /release /renew is done.

Computers are all running XP and a Windows 2000 Servered Domain with DHCP enabled. Lease periods have receively be set to unlimited which did nothing to correct the proble.

If any one could offer some advice it would be very appreciated. And if we get it fixed...... you'll be my hero!

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked the event log for any DNS errors? If so, try to see if they lead you to a solution or post them here. They should be in the system log.
  • JKool
  • JKool

Post 3+ Months Ago

No resent DNS errors in the event log. How ever I'm getting DNS related errors in the System log that read like this:

[i]NETLOGON
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one ore more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.[/i]

&

[i]32TIME
Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again. No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network connectivity is restored. Accumulated time errors may cause certain network operations to fail. To tell the time service that network connectivity has been restored and that it should resynchronize, execute "w32tm /s" from the command line. [/i]

I can not tell you what repeated network problems its referring to, but I assume it means the DNS problem I'm having. I exicuted "w32tm /s" and it returned " RCP to local server returned 0x0".

FYI, I am not using my server for network time sync.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Jeremy Kinnard
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

JKool wrote:
No resent DNS errors in the event log. How ever I'm getting DNS related errors in the System log that read like this:

NETLOGON
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one ore more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.

Check this MS document Jeremy, maybe it can help you to solve your problem, especially this part:

In general, these error messages are logged because the Netlogon service does not receive a "success" message from the DNS server that owns the zones of the records that are being registered. There are several reasons why the Netlogon service does not receive a "success" message:
- Domain controller configuration: DNS server entries in the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties of the domain controller are not properly configured.
- Connectivity: This domain controller does not have Internet Protocol (IP), or Transmission Control Protocol/User Datagram Protocol (TCP/UDP), connectivity to the DNS servers that own the zones to which records need to be registered or deregistered.
- DNS server configuration: The DNS server cannot accept dynamic updates or is not configured to accept dynamic updates, as described in the Request For Comments (RFC) 2136 specification. If the DNS server that is used by the domain controller is not authoritative for the zones to which the Netlogon service is attempting to register or deregister, the DNS server must be able to provide (to this domain controller) the IP address of the DNS servers that are authoritative for the affected zones.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259277
  • JKool
  • JKool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried a couple things that were recommended in the article you sent and so far so good! I made the netlogon service dependent on the DNS service to start and I removed any reference to the servers IP address in the DNS settings.

I can't thank you enough! Hope it sticks. If so, I'll name my first born after you.

Jeremy
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ROFL! I hope he does not look like my avatar! :lol:

You are welcome Jeremy, I am glad to help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts