Network help

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not to good with some things on computers, and setting up a network is one of them ... I just haven't needed to as someone's always done it for me. So, I have a laptop running Vista and I get net through a wireless router. I also have an old XP machine that I want to store files on, but I want to be able to connect to the net through that, too. Is there a way I can hook up my laptop and desktop so the latter gets net access through the former?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Read up on Internet Connection Sharing Breeze. Lot's of good info from these search results

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=in ... h&aq=f&oq=
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your wireless router have LAN ports? Most come with four, I know mine does. If it does you can just hook the XP machine up to it and let it access the net on its own, no need to setup ICS (internet connection sharing).

You could also get a wireless NIC for the XP machine and do it that way as well.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine comes with 4 too ... I'd much rather have used my laptop's wireless connection, but in the end I ran a 20m ethernet cable through the house ... much easier, save for the intense thinking involved to find out the best way to lay it so it's not too intrusive. Thanks for the help anyway, guys :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts