Network video streaming problems

• al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently set up a desktop computer for the sole purpose of being a media server to my laptop, so that I can access my external hard drive without it being connected to my laptop. I put the desktop and laptop on the same workgroup and shared the hard drive, and I can browse it just like I am supposed to, but whenever I watch a video from the hard drive, it stops every few minutes, much like a video online that hasn't cached for long enough. It doesn't always do this, and the video only stops for 30 seconds or so, but it is still annoying. Does anyone know what might cause this?

The desktop is an old HP 700mhz Celeron, running Win 2k.
The laptop is running XP.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of wireless?
also if your watching a video might be just a simple to copy it to the laptop,watch it, then del it so there is no skipping. i know this makes it a pain but if your problems cant be fixed then that might be a good idea.

have you tried a different computer as the media host? might have something to do with 2k
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The wireless is Straight from my dsl modem, a generic Actiontec 802.11g modem. Might it help to put that network on a linksys router?

I haven't tried other desktops as servers, but I doubt they would be any better; I sold the parts for my best desktop after the motherboard went out, so the HP is sadly my best desktop. The rest of my computers are even slower, or laptops.

Would a different operating system be better? Could a linux distro be a better video server platform on the HP? Would it still be able to stream to a pc? I don't really want to put xp on the HP, because I ran it for a while and it was super slow.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts