Networking 2 XP PC's w/ crossover cable - sharing problems

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a friend help me network the 2 computers together. I had to do it manually since I'm just using a crossover cable. I played a few games on the network so I know it works. The problem I am having is I can't figure out how to share my drives/folders. I have the computers on 192.168.1.1 and the other on 192.168.1.2. I tried going into the properties of my C drive and sharing it with the network but it doesn't show up on the other computer.

Any ideas?

thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The easiest way is to map a network drive.

Go to Windows explorer | Tools and select Map Network Drive

The default drive letter is usually fine, but you can change it to any one that's not being used. Underneath that you need to type this:

\\machinename\sharename

where machinename is the name of the other computer and the share name is the name you used when you shared the c drive. For example my computer name is wizard and my c drive share name is cdrive, so to access it from another computer you'd type in:

\\wizard\cdrive

Then you can access anything on the other computer through Windows explorer as if it was on your own machine.

If you want it to reconnect every time you boot, leave that option checked. If you're not sure of the computer name rightclick my computer and select the computername tab.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot for the informative post. I still can't seem to get it to work. When I tried this on both computers it says:

"The network path \\jacobs\JACOBS_C could not be found."

I have the folders shared and gave them both different names. One is SHEA_C and the other is JACOBS_C.

Any ideas?

thanks!
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

sigh, i think its something else..my computers won't connect on the game now either. let me look into it for a few mins.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I got it to work..thanks alot

My firewall blocks the other computer..I use Sygate..anyone know how to allow the computer to connect?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not familiar with Sygate but check their help information. It should just be a setting somewhere to allow it.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

right, thanks man your the best!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts