Networking question

• lestermagic.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lestermagic.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just recently built a new computer, and I had two ethernet cards so I figured why not network my ne comp with my old. The problem is I have virtually no idea how this is done. Because I only have two computers I understand that I dont need a router. I have the cable, I just dont know how to make it work. I would appreciate it if some one could tell me how im stupid or point me to a helpful website or some thing.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

First Of All What OS on The computers. Second do you have dial-up or some sort of high speed internet. if you have just dial-up and wanna share files or have a basic network a simple switch or hub will work. if you have some sort of high speed connection and want to share the connection between both computers then you will have to use a router. i have givin the basic solution for a network. This website might prove helpful
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0, ... 461,00.asp
pm me or post again if you need any further assistance
  • lestermagic.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lestermagic.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are both winows xp, one is home and one is pro. I have dial up internet, but I have the ethernet cards like a say.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend changing the xp home to xp pro as xp pro works better on networks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can very easily and successfully set up a home network between XP Pro and Home. Here is s very simple and easy to understand tutorial on how to:

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

If that doesn't provide enough information or details do a Google search for

XP home network

You will find plenty of results with more explanations and help. It is not very difficult and you have all you need.

The only thing to be carefull of is that since you are not using a router, you will need to make sure the cable you have is a "crossover" patch cable, not a standard patch cable.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts