Networking Question: Is this possible???

• zakeen
  • Born
  • Born
  • zakeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, My first post! :)

We have a little network in my house and the internet is comes throu the server.

My laptop is connected throu the server and is how I get internet. My laptop is the only computer with Wireless Lan. My girlfriends laptop also has Wireless.

Can I connect her computer with Wireless to My computer and then use the Internet??? Is that possible?

Many thanks for your replies and if you can guide me that would be great. Any help would be great.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but only if you have two cards in your laptop, and then connect a wireless hub/switch to it. Then you just have to enable Internet Connection Sharing on the primary ethernet card (the one connecting to the server). Then set her computer up to connect to that hub/switch. You don't want to use a router, because then it would be "routing" twice and you might have problems.
  • zakeen
  • Born
  • Born
  • zakeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont understand why i would need two cards? I get internet throu the Lan Cable and she would connect to my computer throu my and her wireless. So is that what you mean by different cards?
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shedevil, i totally understand where your concern may be in terms of not purchasing a router because essentially in zakeen's case the routing would have to be done twice and this was an issue when i went about developing my wireless network. but zakeen, to get around this, since you and your girlfriend have wireless cards which are more than likely b and g compliant, what you could do is purchase this router from netgear (model number: WGT624). it is a wireless firewall router that is both b and g compliant( g is much faster than b). to get both cards to work with it is that when you log into the router, you have to change two items: the first item is to make sure that your access control is turned off because it will ban both wireless cards for obtaining an IP. also make sure that the channel preset is set to 11. When you log into the router, these options can be found in: Category: ADVANCED, and then to WIRELESS SETTINGS > SETUP ACCESS LIST (make sure that where it says: Turn On Access Control that box is unchecked), then go to category: SETUP, and then to WIRELESS SETTINGS (and change the channel to 11 (recommended) or a different one other than the one it was set to). also with this router there are some encryption schemes you can enable as well. So, I would go with this router because its plug n play compatible, its cheap in pricing and its reliable. Tech support is also outstanding as well. Also in the SETUP / WIRELESS SETTINGS, be sure that the mode is set for both b and g, or if you know the modes that your cards can support set them to either b or g =). I hope this lengthy tutorial helped any. Message me on AIM or YAhoo as I'm on often enough =).
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zakeen, also make sure your card is set to obtain an IP automatically and a DNS automatically as well. once you've verified that the cards work, you can set them up for static routing which I've done with my machines and it will work just fine =).
  • zakeen
  • Born
  • Born
  • zakeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

So your saying I cant connect the two laptops with wireless and have internet throu my laptop over the network throu cable into mine?? and I must buy a router?
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man Zakeen im sorry for forgetting some other stuff but this would be the last post from me, You have to name your wireless network as well. so on that router you would go to SETUP and then to WIRELESS SETTINGS and from there give your network some kind of name. once you do that, save the changes to the router and logout of the router, restart the machine and that will confirm all the setting for the router. just remember, like most computing needs make sure you confirm all of the changes you make to the router as well by hitting, in this router's case, the OK button and then you will get a status message which will say somethng to the effect of updating. as stated before, should you decide to go with this router, IM me on yahoo or aim and i will assist you if tech support fails you or you cant get thru to them. In addition, once you've restarted the machines the name of the wireless network will appear on the cards' listbox. Another suggestion is if you can, place the router somewhere high as objects in your home can inhibt you guys from using the router (signal absourbtion =( ).
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

zakeen thats exactly it. it will work because as we are speaking now i have 3 laptops accessing my router + my desktop pc
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

let me ask you a ? zakeen, do you have to enable some sort of password for your cable modem. because if you have to then you have to go thru the basic settings when you log into your router and make sure that your router understands some general information. nevertheless, all that is explained with all the reading and stuff that comes with it. but after that you are all set. my modem doesnt require a password.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts