new to xp?????

• scott50
  • Born
  • Born
  • scott50

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had 1 computer in my home and recently got cable then the kids took over my computer. So I end up buying 2 dells (running xp) for them and bought a router = is on my computer running 98se) and 2 wireless cards hooked them up and they work find. But my question is why cant we get aim for them? Is there a fire wall or something that is keeping me from getting them signed up? They managed to get my aim on there systems but can only use my screen name but cant change it to one they want? Thank you for anyhelp im a rookie at this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think AOL has some dodgy thing setup so that only one person can be logged in from the same IP address at once. To prevent spoofing/hacking/etc.

Unless somebody on here has experienced similar and knows a workaround, your best bet would be to contact AOL.
  • scott50
  • Born
  • Born
  • scott50

Post 3+ Months Ago

all the ip# are different?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not on a router. They may be on different IP addresses locally (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc.) but as far as the rest of the world is concenered, when they connect to something on the internet outside of your local network, it's all the same public IP address.
  • scott50
  • Born
  • Born
  • scott50

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you suggest? My kids are about to kill me :oops:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kill the kids first ;)

Honestly, I'd contact AOL, or check on the AIM website, see if there's any info up there about this kind of thing. I'm sure you're not the only one who's experienced it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts