Non-administrative administrator

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if the title makes any sense or not, but I'm going to explain it here in this post, and hopefully I'll get some help here.

So, here's whats going on. I'm trying to save a logfile from a program called hijackthis, but every time I tried it'd tell me that the logfile was not found and it'll ask me if I want it to create a new one. I hit yes, redo the scan, and it'll ask me the same thing... if I want to create a new logfile since the current one wasn't found.

Well, I found my problem... the folder in which the logfile is supposed to be written to is set to be "read only". So I try to remove that setting in the folder properties, but it's telling me I don't have administrative permissions to do such thing. I'm on the only account that's created on this computer. This account is the administrative account, and yet, I can't do this. This is the only computer I'm having this kind of problems. All the other computers that I use this program on can write the logfile and I can use it, but this one... well, it's special.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhmm that really sounds strange, what about running as administrator. Elevated rights may help if security settings are high.

not sure what else to look for..... use a older version or get the upgraded version.

other then that this has wtf written all over it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a reason why you are running HiJack This? I've seen some malware do this. Can you save the log file to another location?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's been a lot happen since we all posted Hijackthis info. First try running TDSSKiller from kaspersky. Google it for the download. That will kill any possible bootkit/rootkits. Then run hitmanpro (don't let the pro deter you, google it for the free download also)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts