Norton Ghost vs. Backup Exec Feedback?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a major project ahead of me this summer and that is to migrate my company's Novell network To a Windows Network. I won't go into why because it's a fairly lengthy explanation, but it's necessary.

The majoriity of the workstations are already on Win2k Pro, but I have about 6 computers that are still on Win98se. I want to upgrade those to Win2K Pro but I've got some questions about backup/restore. Two of these computers are our accounting ones and are tied into a Unix server for the accounting software. These two are critical that the update goes off without a hitch. If not, I need to be able to restore the computers to their original state. The other's use a couple DOS based applications, but they are less critical because we plan to upgrade those apps to Windows versions anyway.

I've only used Norton Ghost in a classroom environment and Backup Exec I have on my Windows Server and think I can backup the machines in question (although I'm still working my way through the manuals on that) -- I guess I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on a relatively safe method to do an upgrade given either of those two backup methods.

Bottom line is I need to be able to restore at least the two accounting computers to their original state in the event of an upgrade failure. (One of them is for payroll and I need to make sure she can print out my paycheck! *lol)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use ghost all the time and i love it. 15min to restore my machine...they
can be down for only that long, right? :lol: Even in my MCSE courses, we
used ghost to restore all the machines. It's just a superior product for its means and use.

Now, I have only ever used it on Win2k, XP and 2000 Servers, but I
assume the OS is irrelevant and would work just fine with 98 or 98se.

I have never used the backup exec in any environment, not even in
class. ;)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im in the same boat as Unflux. I have used Ghost quite a few times before, and it has proven, to me at least, to be a very reliable piece of software.

On the other hand, I have had NO experience with exec, so I'm no help there. Hopefully other people have though, so good luck Atno!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I know Ghost does OK with 98 because I did it in class. And I know its a good product. It's just that I already have BackUp Exec 9.1 on my Windows server and didn't want to invest in Ghost if Veritas would be sufficient. I guess that's primarily what I'm interested in.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is most likely resolved. I think what I have with Veritas backup exec will do what I need. If not I'll reopen this.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts