Not able to open any file in Win 2K

• prudhviv
  • Born
  • Born
  • prudhviv

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not able to open any file in Windows 2000 Prof. When i am opening any file(including EXE), I am getting "Canot find file or one of it s components. Make sure that the target is available". I am not able to find any virus in virus scan (having latest update). How can i fix the problem.

Thanks
Prudhvi
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like there is something in the registry majorly messed up. There is information in there that tells you what program opens what type of file. If that information is lost, Windows will have no idea what to do. The easiest way to fix it would be to restore from a recovery point using this method:

http://www.petri.co.il/last_known_good_ ... p_2003.htm

Beyond that, either restore from a full backup or format and reload.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where are you trying to open the files? On your desktop or in Windows Explorer/Mycomputer?

Are you logged in as a user with Administrative rights?

Can you describe what you were doing or what was happening on your computer prior to this problem?
  • prudhviv
  • Born
  • Born
  • prudhviv

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="ATNO/TW"]Where are you trying to open the files? On your desktop or in Windows Explorer/Mycomputer?

[b]At both the places. I am not able to open any file( text document, internet explorer, a text file, add/remove programs....)[/b]

Are you logged in as a user with Administrative rights?

[b]Yes[/b]

Can you describe what you were doing or what was happening on your computer prior to this problem?[/quote]

I installed SBC Yahoo DSL software. then after i am facing this problem. i uninstalled it from safe mode. even then i am facing the same problem after reboot.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm This problem sounds too generic to search at google. Can you check your event viewer to see if there's an error there or something. Goto Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Look at system log and application log for related recent errors and post them here.

Also open windows explorer and goto Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types, tell us if you can see a list of file types there
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You didn't indicate this, but are you able to access anything in safe mode? It seems as though you can since you were able to do an uninstall there. Try booting to safe mode and go to Start | Run and type:
sfc /scannow

It may ask you for your Windows installation disk so have that handy.

After the system file checker has finished reboot and report the results.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts