Novell client install on Win2k3 server.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to install the Novell client on a Win2k3 server to sync up my Novell network using MSDSS. I did the install on Friday using the latest client version for Win2k/XP (the version number escapes me at the moment). The install seemed to work without a hitch. However, after reboot the login prompt would not come up. We're talking 20 to 30 minutes of waiting. Uninstalled the client in safe mode and rebooted and still got the extenuated wait to load the server. Rebooted and restored to last known good config and got back in -- no probs... But I need to sync up the two servers, so I have to install the Novell client. Any suggestions on setting up the Novell client on Win2k3? Similar problems? Workarounds?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some recent updates to the novell client..

http://support.novell.com/filefinder/7172/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah - I know. I'm using the most recent client and service pack I could find. 4.9 SP2 released public 7/1/2004 Thanks, though.

Here's some more details from what I did today if it helps anyone (please note the server works perfectly without the client)

Quote:

Here's the results from the install attempt this morning.
Ran the same client install we did on Friday, then upgraded to 4.9SP2 released 7/1/2004 prior to reboot.
Like Friday, system hung at "Applying computer settings".
After 50 minutes rebooted to safe mode.
Rebooted to safe mode with network support.
Oddly, got a Novell login, but could not find tree or server because a necessary service had not started.
Entered safe mode workstation only.
Looked for hotkey described in this TLD, but it did not exist: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/searc ... 088767.htm
Uninstalled NMAS (Novell Modular Authentication Service) and NICI (Novell International Cryptography Infrastructure)
Rebooted - got same hang on Applying Computer Settings
Rebooted to safe mode and uninstalled client.
Rebooted to "last known good configuration" and got the server back to normal.

Here is a summary from the system event log on the boot errors. After the last entry at 10:29, the server remained in "applying computer settings" mode for another 35 minutes without recording any events. Don't know if any of this will help, but at least it gives a detailed look at what was happening:
-----------------------
During the Client Install:
10:06:38 - The Novell NetWare Resource Manager service was successfully sent a start control.
10:06:39 - The Network Load Balancing service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
10:06:39 - The Novell InterService Communication Driver service was successfully sent a start control.
10:06:47 - The Windows Installer service was successfully sent a start control.
10:06:47 - The Windows Installer service entered the running state.
10:06:53 - Product: NetIdentity 1.2.1 -- Configuration completed successfully.
10:10:21 - svchost (996) The database engine stopped.
10:10:22 - Backup Exec Alert: Media Remove
(Server: "ALARON-SBS-01") (Job: "Alaron Daily Full Backup") Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK.
10:11:02 - Product: NetIdentity 1.2.2 -- Installation operation completed successfully.
10:11:02 - The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'NetIdentity 1.2.2'.

From the Install Reboot:
10:11:15 - The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer ALARON-SBS-01 on behalf of user ALARON-NUCLEAR\Administrator for the following reason: Legacy API shutdown
Reason Code: 0x80070000
Shutdown Type: restart
10:11:16 - The Windows Installer service entered the stopped state.
10:11:20 - The Novell XTier Agent Services service was successfully sent a start control.
10:11:20 - The Novell XTier Agent Services service entered the running state.
10:11:23 - SQL Server terminating because of system shutdown.
10:11:24 - Internal event: Active Directory could not allocate enough memory to process replication tasks. Replication might be affected until more memory is available.

User Action
Increase the amount of physical memory or virtual memory and restart this domain controller.
10:11:24 - LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.
10:11:24 - LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.
10:11:25 - LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.
10:11:25 - The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized. Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.
10:11:25 - The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized. Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.
10:11:25 - lsass (532) The database engine stopped.
10:11:25 - NTDS (532) NTDSA: The database engine stopped the instance (0).
10:11:25 - Process MAD.EXE (PID=4996). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com
10:11:26 - Process STORE.EXE (PID=5548). All the DS Servers in domain are not responding.
10:11:30 - LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.
10:11:31 - LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.
10:11:31 - The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized. Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.
10:11:45 - The Event log service was stopped.
10:13:41 - Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.02. 3790 Multiprocessor Free.
10:13:41 - The Event log service was started.
10:13:34 - The IPSec Driver is starting in Bypass mode. No IPSec security is being applied while this computer starts up. IPSec policies, if they have been assigned, will be applied to this computer after the IPSec services start.
10:13:38 - The Exchange IFS driver loaded successfully.
10:13:48 - lsass (532) The database engine 5.02.3790.0076 started.
10:13:48 - NTDS (532) NTDSA: The database engine started a new instance (0).
10:13:54 - The DSRestore filter started successfully.
10:14:04 - Microsoft Active Directory startup complete, version 5.2.3790.62
10:14:44 - Attempts to update the Active Directory database are succeeding. The Net Logon service has restarted.
10:14:44 - MS DTC started with the following settings:

Security Configuration (OFF = 0 and ON = 1):
Network Administration of Transactions = 0,
Network Clients = 0,
Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Transaction Internet Protocol (TIP) = 0,
XA Transactions = 0
10:16:57 - Internal error: The Active Directory backup and restore operation encountered an unexpected error.

Backup or restore will not succeed until this is corrected.
10:19:44 - Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'alaron-nuclear.com.' failed. These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).

Possible causes of failure include:
- TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es) of the preferred and alternate DNS servers
- Specified preferred and alternate DNS servers are not running
- DNS server(s) primary for the records to be registered is not running
- Preferred or alternate DNS servers are configured with wrong root hints
- Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative for the DNS records that failed registration

USER ACTION
Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt or by restarting Net Logon service. Nltest.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows Server Resource Kit CD.

10:19:44 - Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'DomainDnsZones.alaron-nuclear.com.' failed. These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).

- TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es) of the preferred and alternate DNS servers
- Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative for the DNS records that failed registration

USER ACTION
Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt or by restarting Net Logon service. Nltest.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows Server Resource Kit CD.

10:19:44 - Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'ForestDnsZones.alaron-nuclear.com.' failed. These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).

USER ACTION

10:29:04 - Active Directory has located a global catalog in the following site.

Global catalog:
\\alaron-sbs-01.alaron-nuclear.com
Site:
Default-First-Site-Name

10:29:04 - NTDS (532) NTDSA: Online defragmentation is beginning a full pass on database 'C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit'.
10:29:11 - NTDS (532) NTDSA: Online defragmentation has completed a full pass on database 'C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit'.

The one thing I discovered after the fact that I didn't uninstall was NetIdentity 1.2.2
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

They'r very detailed notes!! Do you always keep such a log when building a server?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The event log is built in to Windows NT on up. And in my opinion it is always a "best practice" to record EXACT error messages when you get them. Otherwise, troubleshooting is a waste of time. If you don't know what the error message said, how do you expect to find help? This is a frequent problem at OZZU and other tech forums on the net. People just don't provide sufficient detail about the problems to resolve their issues. So to answer your question, yes, I either write down errors exactly, or know where to find them such as the event log. This type of process would also benefit many who are reformatting their drives, setting up networks etc. You can't depend on your memory. A detailed record will always make your troubleshooting process much easier when something fails (or, say for example you forget your administrator password *lol). Every step taken in upgrading this server was recorded.

My particular problem almost appears to be that with the Novell client installed, my server issue appears to be a DNS issue but I'm having trouble narrowing it down. It's almost as if it's looking for a domain controller when it is the domain controller and can't resolve.

*shrugs -- I'm at a loss.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We worked around this by adding a Windows 2000 server as a secondary DC and used it for the NDS and file migration, then replicated to the Windows 2003 server. That seems to be working.

Thanks
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ingenious!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts