Novell Question - Resolved -- A big thanks to OZZU friends

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know from past answers to other questions, that there are some here who are at least familiar with Novell...so forgive me for placing this in Windows, but it's the best place I could think of since it's somewhat related and there's no other place to post it..

My company recently speant quite a few bucs to install a VPN on the network. The VPN connection works via the new Windows 2000 server and that connection works just fine. I get a good connection every time. However, even after installing the Novell client on my home computer multiple times, there is no way, no how I can seem to get it to see the Tree, Context or Server on the Novell side. I've changed every setting I can think of and even crashed my Win2K OS a couple times trying to get it to connect, but it just won't see the Novell side of the network. I've played with IPX/SPX, Frame typing, DNS, DHCP and anything else you can name on both the LAN properties as well as the VPN properties.

Simply put I can't login to the Novell network side, because it just won't see the Novell server.

Any ideas? PLEASE???
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you can login from your house to the win2k server but not the Novell side of the network? Now I assume you have a firewall between your network and the outside world. Now is the VPN a physical box or is it just software. If it is behind the firewall I also assume you have all the holes punched thru the firewall, and have checked them multiple times. I also saw something about IPX/SPX, I really haven't done to much with IPX/SPX so I don't know that much about it. Also I don't have much experiance with Novell.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The VPN basically connects through the Windows box - Software to the best of my knowledge. VPN connection is not a prob. Connection is good everytime. The Firewall on the network is hardware (Cisco). The issue with IPX/SPX is I know the people that installed the Novell network, and they essentially always use IPX/SPX 802.2 Frame Typing. I know this should be relatively simple, but I can't get there from here, and I have to type up instructions for about a dozen novices on how to do this. I figure if I can't make it work -- no way they're going to be able to.

Added note -- I can remote desktop to the Win2K server without a problem as well. I just can't access the Novell side of the ballpark
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what's frustrating me. I can VPN in just fine. I can successfully ping all the internal network IP's just fine once the VPN connection is established. For that matter I can even access the Novell Management Portal and successfully log into it. I even purged all the deleted files off of the SYS volume tonight.

What I can't do is authenticate to the Novell server via NDS. The login can't find the tree, context or server. For whatever reason, I am completely unable to login even though I know I have a good connection. For the record, the server and client are Small Business Suite 5.1 SP5.

I'm starting to wonder to myself, if this will not authenticate with just the Novell client. Do I need Border Manager to use VPN? I can't seem to find the answer to that question.

Added info - the VPN is via Cisco and we are using a Win2K server for DHCP, DNS and WINS

I know -- it's a really goofy setup, but that's what I have to deal with.
  • Cipher-21
  • Loc: Borger, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are you using the novell for????
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cipher-21

Novell is the Network Server OS my company decided on 2 years ago before I got here. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it at the moment. It's Small Business Suite 5.1 SP5 if that helps anyone. I'm hesitant to install the newer service packs because I have multiple corrupted files that dismount our two volumes, sys and data, if compression, backup or antivirus try to run. I've put a band-aid on the backups by skipping the corrupt files. Problem is as soon as anything touches those files the sys and data volumes dismount.

Everything I've found on the topic points to a hard drive that is failing, but it's run faithfully for over a year and a half as long as nothing touches those corrupt files. The second it does I'm done. For example, one file is a stupid little gif file in the Groupwise Spanish Install folder. If I try to go to that in Windows Explorer and simply right click it, my server crashes.

The problem started when somebody tried to upgrade Symantec and had errors that crashed the system. The fix was to go from SP3 to SP5, but ever since then the problem has existed.

I've turned off compression, and run backups on everything minus the corrupt files. I just wish I could determine the root problem and do surgury instead of a bandaid.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This issue is finally resolved, and I wanted to thank those of you at OZZU who inadvertantly gave me the clues to resolving this. Here's the scoop -

My major problem with this issue was not a VPN connection to my network...that worked fine from the get-go. However, the VPN was set up to work with the Windows 2000 server side of things. I could always do anything I wanted from there including Remote Desktop to the server and mapping drives to my workstation. However, I had no access to the Novell side of things.

Thanks to OZZU and a coincidence, I read several of you recommending VNC ( http://realvnc.com/ ). I wondered if I could find a way to make that work. Everything came together yesterday when the guy that's writing the software for our streaming video feed took the computer hooked up to the cameras and added the VNC server to it. We took it up without a monitor, keyboard or mouse and powered it up and I'm sitting back thinking to myself, "How does he expect to login to the network" -- we went back to his computer and OMG!!!! The login screen was sitting right there.

OK -- so I follow the same scenario and install the VNC server on my work computer and come home and install the viewer on my computer here. With some advanced thinking (I'm wondering how do I resolve the internal IP issue?) I do my VPN connection first. Now, not having a clue what port my computer is currently using, I set up VNC for the internal network IP (which I did know) --- Voila! for the first time in three months of playing with this -- I am still currently looking at my desktop at work! Not to mention, I can access all the Novell files on the Novell side of the network and use my programs (similar to PCAnywhere) -- whata rush -- and I have you all at OZZU to thank for putting the idea in my head.

Great Job OZZU!
  • LadyNred
  • Born
  • Born
  • LadyNred

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using Small Business Suite 5, why aren't you using TCP/IP to connect? It would make life a lot more simple.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would LadyNred - our set up is a little odd. And some of our people are using Symantecs PCAnywhere to do just that. However, the configuration changed when we added a Win2K web server for our website and video stream. The Win2K box is now our DHCP, DNS and Wins server as well. We also added a Cisco PIX Firewall and VPN and blocked external access to the Novell server except via VPN. The problem was I could remote desktop to the Windows server, but was having difficulty doing the same to workstations. In addition, I could ping the Novell server and do virtually anything I wanted on the windows side, but couldn't access the Novell volumes from our home computers. The VNC solution worked perfectly and it is a cost effective solution being open source. In addition, we'll be losing the Novell server soon when I migrate everything to the Win2K server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts