One Excel client can't see cell content?

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In an excel worksheet certain stuff isn't appearing, but it's still there in excel when I open the file from the shared location form another client. The client is Excel 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

The formulas for the cells are still there, but nothing displays in the cells. I've turned down macro security, the font colour for the cells is black (I've also reapplied it to black) and the cells are white. What else am I missing?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had something similar happen with signature capture devices we use at work where the signatures would disappear (just like your cells not showing). Try this, it may work for you:

Quote:
By default Excel "fast loads" an add-in, which inhibits macros from running (this is why the signature seems to "disappear" when you first open Excel). This can be changed in the registry, by going to Start\Run, typing regedit, and clicking OK.

Next, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel\Microsoft Excel

(it might be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Microsoft Excel or )

(it might be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Microsoft Excel)

If you have multiple options (ie, 8, 9, 10, and/or 11) check them all.

Check the OPEN (it might be OPEN1 or OPEN2, etc.) value by double-clicking the little "ab" icon next to the name OPEN. This will bring up a little window with a "Value Data" text field. If this text field value begins with /F, then delete the /F portion of this value (be sure you only delete the /F portion!) using your mouse and the delete key on your keyboard then click OK.
  • fyz
  • Born
  • Born
  • fyz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Sounds like the excel file is damaged by some reason. Maybe you can try a tool called Advanced Excel Repair. I have used it to repair many corrupt Excel xls files successfully. Its homepage is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/ Hope this helps.

Alan

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts