Operating System not Found

• bob101
  • Born
  • Born
  • bob101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to fix a computer but when it boots up it gives me an error saying, " Operating System not Found" and gives me a picture of inserting a floppy disk into the tower. I have no idea what operating system it has but all I know is that someone tried to install Windows XP Pro and this happened. How do fix this problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reinstall XP. That message means there are no bootable partitions on the hard drive.
  • bob101
  • Born
  • Born
  • bob101

Post 3+ Months Ago

How, the computer doesn't even reach the desktop HUD. It just trys to boot up and then just stops and gives me a black screen with this error. And is it possible to even install XP with a burn cd? If not, can I use an earlier version like 2000?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

"And is it possible to even install XP with a burn cd?" sorta answers the problem
  • bob101
  • Born
  • Born
  • bob101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok that helps. So then how do I reboot it up then so I can install Windows 2000?
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The windows 2000 disc if legitimate should be bootable. Stick it in the CD/DVD drive. Check in the BIOS to make sure that the Drive is before the hard drive in the boot order and it should boot into the CD.
  • gotdimps
  • gotdimps
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently had taken a cd drive out of my hp desktop and put it in my dell desktop because the dvd drive in the dell had failed. Well the hp was causing boot problems so I took it out and went out and bought a new dvd drive. In the mean time I had a regular old cd drive in my hp working fine. I tried to take the regular old one out and put in the original hp cd r/rw and now all i get is a screen that says "Operating System Not Found". I have tried everything from all the different ways to set it (Master, slave, cable select) to taking it out and putting the old one I had replaced it with back in and nothing! I disconnected my floppy drive, Nothing. I get the hp screen then it goes black and says "operating system not found" I can't even press an F key to get to the boot menu to check the bios and make sure it's checking the hard drive. I'm so lost and don't know what to do.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

That HP Logo screen is actually covering the standard BIOS screen that shows you what F key to use to access the BIOS and gives you the opportunity to press it. You can still press the relevant F key while that HP logo screen is showing though. Its hard to predict exactly what it will be since there isn't really any standardisation between BIOS manufacturers for what key does what. The two that I've seen in the past are Del and F2. You might also be able to use the Esc key to get rid of the logo screen so you can see the correct key to use.
  • gotdimps
  • gotdimps
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hit the Esc key which got me to the menu to hit F1 and get into my BIOS set up, I selected to boot from the hard drive and it still says operating system not found which is total bullcrap because it was working just fine when I had the other cd drive in it. The only thing I can think of is the hard drive is failing but it shouldn't be. Nothing happened to it. The computer wasn't dropped, or surged or anything like that. The hard drive never made any weird noises like it was struggling or dieing. There was no sulfuric smell to indicate something burnt, none of these happened. So what's the deal?
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try unhooking the CD/DVD Rom drive you installed in it, mainly remove the power connection to it so it doesn't power up. Try powering up then and see what happens. If your system powers up then it is likely that your PSU is failing. If it doesn't boot up then try swapping your HDD cables with the Cd/DVD Rom cables. Try booting up then, if it works then its a cable issue, if it fails then try swapping the socket that it is connected to on the motherboard. If it works then it might just be that that socket on the motherboard is stuffed. If it doesn't work then chances are good that it is your HDD. Post back with all the results so we can see what happened with each of them.
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

i start computer (compaq persario) everything is normal as usual and then all the sudden configuration errorcode purple) and then an error about the operating system not being installed properly or completely and something else but this was a year ago all of my attempts to restore recover everythig did not work.
I used a compaq recovery cd to recover my system and for some weird reason it started d.o.s.(Disk Operating System) and i used the computer like that for quite some time and then and im not crazy it said it was an hp computer on the start screen it continued working as usual in d.o.s.(Disk Operating System) but then i got a new computer and that one is sold now.

worst time of my life i lost so much data i was not happy.(could not access drive c to backup data)
(what would cause this?)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

without knowing more closely as to the exact error you received its hard to say :/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts