Outlook 2007 w Win 7 & IE 8, Links open a New IE window

• GrafinLupus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Outlook 2007 with Win 7 and IE 8. I use the taskbar at the bottom with a button for IE (and lots of other applications). If I don't have IE launched and click on a link in an Outlook email, a new button appears on my already crowded taskbar. How can I make the new window appear without inserting a new button? If I have the IE application open already the link opens the page in a new tab in the existing open IE window. I have the "Tabbed Browser Settings" set to "Open links from other programs in" "a new tab in the current window". I didn't notice that this was happening until several months ago. I don't recall any changes I made to any settings. It's not a big deal but it is annoying and I just like to understand what's going on. Any ideas?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right-click on your Taskbar, select Properties.

In the Taskbar tab, make sure "Taskbar buttons:" is set to "Always combine, hide labels".

This will force all windows for each application to share the same button space. If this doesn't work, then I'm not quite sure I understand the problem.
  • GrafinLupus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for such a fast reply. I already have the setting as you prescribe. You do seem to understand this well, though. IE is just not following directions; just like my kids. Maybe I'll just have to get over it.
Sincerely,
GrafinLupus
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd. I just tried repro'ing your situation on Win8 and IE still only maintains a single taskbar button, even when I open a new window from Outlook. I have no idea why it would be doing that.

The only thing I can think of is that the link is launching a different version of IE, but [most] people shouldn't have multiple versions installed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts