Outlook Express Attachments

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone, I need a little help with Outlook Express attachments.

I'm using the Outlook Express that came with Windows XP pro. I do not know what version it is. I can't read attachments with Outlook Express. I do receive the e-mail and it tells me who it is being forward to. It says. Note: forwarded message attached. I can't read the e-mail in Outlook Express. I use to think they are just sending me e-mail's without saying anything so i just delete. One day i thought about this. I tryed to forward my e-mail's to my yahoo account. I can read attachments from there. I think i shouldn't have to forward e-mail's to another account. I should be able to read them from Outlook Express. My internet provider is Earthlink. Outlook Express is my default mail. Is there any settings i have to change to read attachments? This is really weird that i can't read attachments. Please reply back here. I seen a couple of Bigwebmaster posts about Outlook. I thought maybe he or someone else had this problem too. Thanks everyone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

right up my alley, i get this one about 3 or 4 times a night on my shift working tech support for cable modems.

go to your OE click the tools menu
click options,
click securty tab, and
UNCHECK where it says "do not allow attachements to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus blah blah blah"...
then click ok and
close OE and
re open OE

and viollla you have attachements
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes! took me forever to find that when I first got XP. I HATED it cuz it
was blocking everything.

this is good info to pass along, I'm glad someone asked for it.
  • rayjay
  • Born
  • Born
  • rayjay

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Hotmail and download to Outlook Express 6 for those messages I need to keep - all my attachments seem to have bben blocked and gone forever. Is this true or can I get them back. In Outlook you can make a registry change to display the blocked messages - can I do the same for Express.
  • redsstone
  • Born
  • Born
  • redsstone

Post 3+ Months Ago

dear mr gadget guru.

how easy computers are once you know where to go!
but getting there...there's the trick.
your assistance has been incredibly valuable...
i just downloaded an oe service pack that caused all attachments to be blocked...
god knows how long it would have taken me to figure out how to fix it...
thanks for your geniusness.

i'm learning WAY too much about computers as i got a worm last week and spent over four days formatting and reformatting and installing and reinstalling...
time to build an altar to the god of computer protection.

cheers.

dean.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to OZZU redstone. I think that's totally great that you found an older archived post and it helped you. I think it's even better that you took the time to thank Gadget Guru for the help, even though he doesn't frequent the place as much anymore. A big Kudos to you for an excellent example. Sometimes all it takes for someone to make my day is a simple thanks.
  • redsstone
  • Born
  • Born
  • redsstone

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello there...

i've been looking for a forum THAT WORKS!
looks like i might have found it.

not that i have problems that often...i'm not a computer tech...but when i get little problems its nice to know where to go for an answer.

i found that post through google by just typing in "outlook express attachments".

as for the thanks...its rather simple...not a big thing.
but i know what you mean...i have been doing a friend who is in the dumps favors for several months now and not a thank you...it gets old.

i will be looking for posts on "sharing violations" as my windows 2000 is driving me nuts...

i also will probably be looking for info on worms, firewalls, etc.

good job!

cheers.

dean.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

remychan - please do not cross post. You already started a new thread
and asked that question. It does not help you or others to ask the same
question in many different threads. If you think your question is not
receiving getting answered the way you want, posting again won't get it
for you either. Someone will find your question and asnswer it if they can.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

redsstone wrote:
dear mr gadget guru.

how easy computers are once you know where to go!
but getting there...there's the trick.
your assistance has been incredibly valuable...
i just downloaded an oe service pack that caused all attachments to be blocked...
god knows how long it would have taken me to figure out how to fix it...
thanks for your geniusness.

i'm learning WAY too much about computers as i got a worm last week and spent over four days formatting and reformatting and installing and reinstalling...
time to build an altar to the god of computer protection.

cheers.

dean.

thanks for taking the time to thank me, i guess alot of things i do every day that come second nature to me (and some others here) seem to help people. i am going to try to frequent ozzu like i used because i have noticed alot of great people have joined here, and bigweb has done a nice job with the site as well.
  • Oedivanth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Oedivanth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello -

I, too, have been having problems with opening attachments in Outlook Express 6 but I think it may have something to do with my computer settings. I'm just not sure what.

I'm going to post as much info about my computer as I can...

Whenever I get attachments they are downloaded as "eml" files, which I cannot open. Any text that may have been in the normal body of the e-mail also does not come.

I have Service Pack 2 and Windows XP.

I already tried to unclick the "Do not open attachments" option on the security tab. I've also unclicked the "Block images and other external content" option.

When I go into "View" in Outlook Express, the "Blocked Images" and "Messages in HTML" options are gray. The "Save Attachments" option under File are also gray.

I have Norton Internet Security on my computer.

I hope someone here can help me with this frustrating problem.

Thanks in advance from NYC!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be that another program took over for that extension.

Try this;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312355
Cheers.
  • Oedivanth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Oedivanth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice, daemonguy. Unfortunately it didn't work. The eml files were already associated with Outlook Express. I tried changing it anyway, but to no avail.

But at least you taught me something new about how to change the programs that are associated with certain file types, so thank you!

Anyone else want to give it a try?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm well I gave it a shot. :)

Try investigating your settings for Norton Internet Security. It is more than possible that NIS is not permitting .eml files from *executing* properly.
The W32.Sobig.F@mm worm is found in (amongst other things) .eml files, and it's possible that NIS has denied *execution* of said extention.

Cheers.
  • Oedivanth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Oedivanth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I've actually found the answer...

When I've been trying to double-click the attachment paper clip, a window would open to "show" the message. But of course nothing would appear.

What I finally tried doing is double-clicking the envelope that appears in the Attach window again. It asks if I want to open this file and I said, "Yes."

The same thing happened...but I figured, hey I'll try again.

This time I got the goods!

I think it may have something to do with how many times the e-mail has been forwarded. It's as if each subsequent forward generates its own "attachment." You just have to get through all of these newer attachments to get to the original one which may have the image you want to see.

To test this, I created my own attachment and sent it via a different e-mail to the one I have linked up to Outlook. It worked! Huzzah!

So, in conclusion, if you are having problems with "eml" attachments in Outlook Express, just keep on clicking on those paperclips and envelopes! You may just get the attachments eventually.

Thanks to all of you who pondered my problem. Special thanks to daemonguy, who was kind enough to give me a few tips that will help me in general computer troubleshooting.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem, just glad you figured it out.

Side note: careful clicking on those .eml attachments. ;)

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts