Outlook Express Problem

• nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Paris

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whenever I click on a mail adress link (MAILTO:) instead of opening Outlook express and letting me write the mail, the system just opens up Explorer 61 times. The default setting is on OUTLOOK. :oops:

This is no virus because we have fully up to date virus inspection. I think is is some configuration problem. :shock:

What can I do? Reinstallin outlook would imply losing all my History directories and adress books so I'm trying to find an elegant way to fix this problem. :wink:

System:

WIN XP / OUTLOOK V.6 / EXPLORER v.6 :!:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is going to sound really simple, but have you rebooted since the problem occured? I've had the same thing on very rare occasion and rebooting solved it.
  • StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

I second that. Also it could be there is a problem with the exe for outlook.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't even think about such an easy solution. I tried everything. Whenever I click on a mail link it just opens Explorer 65 times. That's it. No explaination, no nothing. Otherwise everything works fine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was worth a shot. Have you tried a repair of IE? You might want to wait for another opinion because I can't recall 100%, but I don't think you will lose your favorites, etc if you do a repair vs. a reinstall.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

This seems to be more subdle. Somehow the MAILTO function is incorrectly redirected to the wrong software. Something in the registry perhaps?

WHOEVER COMMES UP WITH THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM GETS A FREE INFLATABLE DOLL.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here you go:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/MailtoProtocol.htm

Sorry it took so long -- had problems coming up with the proper search keywords on Google. I'll pass on the doll! *grins
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for this link. :lol:

However, I have no idea on how to open the regitry and edit it (Without spending money on their software). :x

Plus I don't understand what they expect us to do in the registry. Any information leading to the implementation and understanding of this solution will be welcome. :oops:

:?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I found regedit. Surprise surprise. The directory they refer to: "mailto" does not exist. Plus I still have no idea on what they expect us to do :cry:

HEEEEELLLP!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. In the summer evenings after work I'm usually in the garden until it's too dark to see anything.

It's entirely possible you don't have the mailto key. Based on the link, apparently this can happen with some registery cleaners. If perchance you used a registry cleaner recently, I'd suggest not using it again.

Although I'm on Win2K, the key should look something like this:

I circled in red the key they are refering to (mailto) and the value that needs to be in place (URL Protocol). Also note the status bar and make sure you are in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

The keys are listed in alphabetical order so it will be hard to miss if it's there. If it's not, you'll need to create the key. Highlight the HKEY_CLASS_ROOT by left clicking it once.

Then click Edit | New | Key This will create a new generic key which you will need to rename to "mailto" (without the quotes - small case)

Then make sure the new mailto key you created is highlighted (left click it once if necessary) and go to Edit | New | String Value

This will create a new string in the right pane. Rename that to URL Protocol as instructed in the link.

That should be all you have to do. The registry key and value you create takes affect imediately. There should be no need to reboot.

*warning -- before editing the registry you should always make a backup. To do this click Registry | Export Registry File. Save it with a name of your choice. If you need to restore the original for any reason, click Registry | Import Registry File and select the one you just saved. Editing the registry is not that difficult, but you should always take this precaution because you can mess things up pretty badly if you do it wrong. This is a fairly simple edit, though and I'm sure you can do it. Just read my instructions carefully and the link provided earlier carefully to make sure you understand it first. If you don't, ask any questions before you attempt it.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry, no inflatable doll yet.

When I edit the registry as you say, it won't put the mailto directory under the highlited HKEY_CLASS_ROOT directly but under HKEY_CLASS_ROOT/ZONE CLIENT M1with no noticeable effect.

Await further instructions. Maybe XP is really different from 2000!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to have to depend upon someone else who has XP then. According to the instructions which were for XP - it basically looked the same as what I have on Win2K. I've never even seen ZONE CLIENT M1
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

And they said XP was easy... oh boy... I hope somebody here will have an answer to this question. :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I think I see what is happening. When you create the New Key, it will automatically place it under the last Key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, which in your case apears to be Zone Client M1.

By default the new key's name will be New Key #1. You need to rename that to mailto. (Don't worry that it appears at the bottom of the list). After you've created the key, you still have to assign it the value, so with mailto highlighted select New | String Value and that will place a new string value in the right pane which by default will be named New Value #1. That needs to be renamed to URL Protocol.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe that his computer could have possible been hijacked by spyware? Did you try to perform a scan with Spybot or Adaware?

Just a suggestion....
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spyware what? Does anybody speak English around here?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have installed the fix in the registry. Now when I click on a mail link I no longer get the 65 openings of Explorer but instead I get an message (In french) which I will try to translate here:

IMPOSSIBLE TO EXECUTE THIS OPERATION BECAUSE THE DEFAULT MAIL SERVICE IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED.

That's it. What now? (Everything else works fine) :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your first post you said the default setting was Outlook, but you said you are trying to use Outlook Express. Change the default setting to Outlook Express instead of Outlook.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

It IS set to Outlook express!
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

ACTUALLY,

When I go into the OUTLOOK EXPRESS options and set the default to Outlook Express it won't stick. Whenever I return to the option menu the setting is back to "not default". What is going on here? (PS: I set the registry as was instructed.) Will we see the end of this tunnel?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I FOUND THE SOLUTION :)

This had nothing to do with the registry. It is a completely differrent issue!

All of these problems indicate that OE is not properly configured as the default email client.

To be sure OE is the default mail client, one must do the following:

(1) Close OE, click Start| Run and enter this command line, complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

(2) Click Start| Settings| Control Panel, double-click Internet Options, then click on the Programs tab, and verify that OE is now the default email client.

(3) Open OE and click Tools| Options, and at the bottom of the General tab, verify that OE is set as the default.

VOILA!!! I AM PROUD OF MYSELF FOR HAVING FOUND THIS SOLUTION! THE FACT THIS PROBLEM OCCURED IN THE FIRST PLACE SHOWS WIN XP IS NOT YET AS SIMPLE AND USER FRIENDLY AS THE MAN WOULD WANT US TO THINK! WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT DESIGN AN OS WHICH DOES NOT HAVE THIS SORT OF PICKY SETTINGS!!!

THANK YOU FOR THOSE WHO TRIED TO HELP!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent nimborde! Nice to see you got it, and thanks for the detailed followup.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts