OUTLOOK EXPRESS

• wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All

I got a crazy situation with my MS Outlook Express on Windows XP

The outlook works great for a while and then it starts having problems.

I have set it up to automatically check for emails every minute.

Sometimes when it checks, I get error "cannot find host" and times out.
When checks again I may or may not get the same error or I get "Authorizing" and stays there until it times out.
When it checks again I may or may not get the same error or else it states "Receiving Emails" and stays there until it times out.

After a few checks it eventually works and I get my email.

Since Outlook works with Internet Explorer, when Outlook is not working properly, it also affects IE as it states it is waiting for the web page which lasts until Outlook works again.

This is driving me nuts because when I am on the internet, all of a sudden it takes forever to go to a new web page, due to outlook.

Whenever I am on the internet, I need to close Outlook. The funny part is that I can only close Outlook if it was working. If I close it when it is not working, IE takes forever.

I would appreciate any help.

All my server data, POP etc. must be correct or else I would not get any emails. I desparately need to know why Outlook works great and then buggers up until it works great again.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your time interval (1 minute) is too short.
Quote:
One of the more important settings in Outlook is the frequency with which you receive e-mail from the server. Ideally, most people want this interval to be as short as possible. However, setting this interval too short could potentially result in receiving the same message multiple times. As well, if too many e-mail users are using a short time interval, the e-mail servers will become very busy, resulting in poor performance for everyone. Consequently, we suggest that you set this interval to 10 minutes and use the manual Send/Receive button when you need to check for a new message immediately. To change these settings in Outlook:

From Here

I have ours at work set for 5 minutes. If you need to check sooner than that you can always check manually.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO/TW

I set it for 5 minutes but still have the same issues

This is my computer so I am the only one using it.

What's funny is before when I had it for 1 minute, it did work OK

It's just lately that it has been acting up

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts