overclocking

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, scrap the post i made on my bios problem, because atm i can live with it, what i am unsure about is this

i cannot increase the fsb on my motherboard in the bios, i have checked this on numerus websites and found people with the same problem, i am running a GA_7IXE4 motherboard, now i want to upgrade it or overclock it a little, to see what it can do, but for either i need to change the fsb

for overclocking i need to change the fsb or multiplier, now i know you have to colour something in with pencil?...(could you be more specific>?) for changing the multiplier.

now if i want to buy a new processor i need a board that supports 266hzfsb for a double speed increase (1ghz-2ghz) but my board only supports a 200hz fsb and the product i want to buy is an xp2400, now i am trying my hardest to make sure i dont have to buy a new motherboard so i am asking here before i do, if i change the multiplier and leave the fsb and 200hz can i still make a new cpu manage the speeds it is capable of?

also, my processor atm is an amd athlon 1ghz, but when i run some software which tells me the type of processor i have, quiet often it says my processor is an amd athlon thunderbird 1.4, so if u could overclock it to that, it would be great

well, i am pretty new to all this but i learn fast, but i prefer to ask computer wiz's before i go a head and do something wrong

thanks for you time :roll:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have a few msiconceptions, but regardless what you will be looking for are some header pins ON your motherboard to switch the FSB.

I've never heard of coloring in anything with pencil, but I know on some processors you have to unlock it.

I would say if you are unsure, DON'T DO IT!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I would say if you are unsure, DON'T DO IT!

I agree 100%

and on this board, I don't think you're gonna get the advice you seek
when it comes to playing with bios or clocking. At least not from me,
because I'm not gonna get into any trouble for giving out bad advice.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

why don't we tell him to water cool while we are on the modding/oc'ing topic :-D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah! add water to your electronic devices, it ALWAYS makes it [blur]FASTER![/blur]

HEHEHEE :twisted:

j/k :P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually if your motherboard supports overlocking I believe they talk about how to do it in the manual. I know with my motherboard they do, but its the type of motherboard that is kind of made for overclockers I think.

I think it really depends on the motherboard itself on how to overclock it. I am not entirely sure though, I have never overclocked anything. Just have heard a few things and read some articles at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 thing, watercooling, how stupid do you think i am, if i could afford watercooling if i wanted it, but it was only a question, no need to treat me like a kid, although i am 1, but still, thats not the point. i just turned 16 today
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

we were all just joking kalbal. no offense was intended
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, cus it my b/day, i might be able to afford a new mobo and 2ghz proc, all adds up 2 £89 not bad eh!? or is it?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure, how much is £89 in USD($)?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, i do not know how to translate that :s, i am sure there is some software that can ;)
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

may I ask what is wrong with watercooling?
  • ChrisMayhew
  • ChrisMayhew

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie wrote:
may I ask what is wrong with watercooling?

I have read up about this and the more i read the more i don't really like.

Your putting water near your computer, say it leaks out of the water cooler? What you going to do then?
I know more than likely it won't but i don't think i would risk it.

Btw £89 in $ is: $141.67
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, watercooling can be a good idea, but i would only choose a well known manufacturer, i have known people who have tried to make their own, but i would not suggest it
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020102/watercooling-01.html ;)
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

im probably gonna get a watercooling system for my comp. and definately wouldnt use anything but a well known manufacturer for it....
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Plus I'd imagine your are able to test it out of your case for leaks before actually putting it in.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, but i read an artical somewhere (not sure) but a guy made his own watercooled system, everything he made himself, it leaked because he made the actual block that sits on the cpu our of copper and it rusted?...something like that. but any way, he was able to salvage his comp by letting it dry...(somehow)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts