Ozzu page load problems. - Resolved (ummm resolved again)

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had some strange problems with OZZU for the last couple weeks. I'm on cable (Comcast) and in the past never had problems with Ozzu pages loading speedwise, or not loading at all. For the last (roughly) two weeks on this home computer the pages load slower than what I am used to and I frequently have random instances where I click a link on OZZU to another post and it doesn't connect. I either get a 404 error (if I wait long enough) or can hit the backbutton and sometimes (not always) get right to where I want to go.

It's not my ISP connection. When this event occurs, my ICQ and AIM stay connected. In addition, I can go to other websites in other browser windows just fine, but come back to OZZU and still not be able to access a page. Oddly, this never happens on my work computer. I can access OZZU pages instantly and the graphics and page content slam open the same way this one used to. Both computers are running Win2K Pro. The significant difference is that I use a VPN connection on my home computer to connect to my work server. I am already aware of a fault in Win2K when after establishing and using a VPN session, I lose funtionality with my "normal" internet connection and either have to reset it manually or reboot. There are three things that coincide on this problem, the upgrade of OZZU's code and mods, my installation of Win2K Pro on this machine and my use of the VPN.

I can't for the life of me figure it out especially since it ONLY happens with OZZU.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. As an example of how frustrating this is, now I'm going to to copy this all to clipboard, because when I hit the post button, I have know idea if the post is going to go through and I don't want to retype this all again.

Thanks for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

would the bandwidth amount be a problem
(too many people)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt it twmspro. I think it's a problem with this machine and some glitch between IE 6, the VPN and "chaos" in general. I think I'm just going to reinstall IE and see if that fixes it. I had the same darned thing happen just trying to read your reply.

In addition the other thing I didn't mention is that IE frequently aborts and shuts down for no apparent reason with no apparent consistancy, but it only aborts when I'm closing browser windows. I mean I have some really strange problems with IE I've never seen before. It's usually pretty darn stable.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reinstalled IE 6 SP1, but initially no joy. Now for the last half hour not a prob. Pages slam open as before, and I didn't change anything or reboot in the last half hour. I have no clue what's going on with this.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Further update re: this problem. seems that most often This glitch occurs when others are posting (identified by the fact that I see new posts after I've attempted to post or after trying to look at other threads.) Also during slow periods of work, no delays, but work and home are on two different ISP's and I get this regardless of browser (mostly after 4pm EST). Mostly, I've noticed this with OZZU. At first I thought it was my VPN connection conflicts, but even after rebooting, still have the same glitch even if VPN isn't used.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might have narrowed this down further...I'm starting to think this glitch might be related to the "Ads by Google" ref... I'll let you know. Why? The page loads seem to be up to par, except where I hit a page where the Googe link is in effect. Not sure. I'll test it more tomorrow when I have more time.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, it could be the google ad. I do know there are some times for me when the Google ads do not load fast which ends up slowing the amount of time it takes for ozzu to load, since it its waiting on that ad. The ad is also done in pure javascript, so that might be another consideration to something maybe causing a problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've re-thought that. Can't be the Google ad, because it happens on the main page as well as the topics lists in any given forum at random. Most often it happens when I submit a post. I've become very skilled at copying and pasting my posts to clipboard prior to submitting them, because I can almost assume that it's going to hang.

I also studied the possibility that perhaps it was a critical update that was gumming up the works, but I compared to my work computer (which I've also had the same problem with, albeit not as frequent). I hadn't done any updates or even SP4 for Win2K at work, 'cause I just put it on. So since the problem existed on both machines, I ruled that out.

Another problem that started occuring approximately the same time is that IE 6 will just encounter a critical error for no apparent reason and shut down, although it will frequently happen after I've used Media Player 9 or if I attempt to close multiple browser Windows.

I've sent the error report to MS multiple times and the answer is always the same. "A .dll file caused this error, but we are not sure which one" or some very similar message as that.

I'm going to just reinstall it and see what happens. Just gotta remind myself to backup my favorites before I do *lol.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I've had some strange problems with OZZU for the last couple weeks. I'm on cable (Comcast) and in the past never had problems with Ozzu pages loading speedwise, or not loading at all.

Yup, me too...it doesn't matter what time of day, or what browser I'm using...even did it while using Firefox 0.8, although it's rare that a page doesn't load at all.

ATNO/TW wrote:
When this event occurs, my ICQ and AIM stay connected.In addition, I can go to other websites in other browser windows just fine, but come back to OZZU and still not be able to access a page.

Yeah, most pages load just nice and fast, but Ozzu loads like it's molasses in december.

ATNO/TW wrote:
Both computers are running Win2K Pro.

I get the same lag whether I'm using winXP or RedHat 9

ATNO/TW wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure it out especially since it ONLY happens with OZZU.

I sometimes get a similar lag with sites that are under heavy bandwidth load, but that is sporadic.

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG you're not going to believe this. Tonight just became unbearable.The graphics were taking too long to load on a page. The pages hung -- often times my browser would freeze and I just finally had to deal with this.

I always thought it was just OZZU, because this is where I spend a majority of my evening time. At work it was always OK. Something -- I don't know what -- dawned on me and I checked my cache settings in options. I don't know why, I just did.

Here's the kicker. I had about 3 weeks prior to this first post installed Win2K, did all the service packs, patches, security updates etc.... What I didn't realize was that my temporary internet files was set to 1193 MB -- that's right, over a gig of space reserved for useless crap. I have to assume that's the default on the install, because I didn't change it. Who needs that much storage devoted to temp files?

The worst part is that I purposely set IE to look for a "newer version of the page every time" so all this time IE has been comparing OZZU pages to my cache file which was incredibly large, and totally gumming up the works. It took a few crashes tonight, and I finally had to manually delete everthing and empty the recycle bin a couple times to get the job done (not to mention 2 reboots, because everything on my system "was not responding"). Now cache is at 50 MB (and that is probably still larger than I need), but at least now I'm finally sailing along once again at OZZU and elsewhere on the internet.

*sigh of relief....
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm I'm guessing that is the standerd as because when I looked at my file (recentish format) I had the same settings, but I got luckyer on the lcearing of them, just couldn't you my poor comp for a few mins while it cleared everything out, only I set my cache to 150 MB cause I like to look at lostas purdy pictures (I'm an avatar/desktop junkie)
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually check OZZU webpage from work, and i was able to check in before.

Now it is blocked (and i am sure not by the administrator) by WebSence (adult site filter and stuff).
I can still manage to go to other forums so this is why i dont think its and admin block but a Websence company that registered the site as not viewable.

I suggest you check it out.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I actually I had to resolve this twice. Now I think this time I narrowed it down to a data miner "Alexa" -- we'll see...I ran a netstat when I was having problems connecting just about anywhere and found a time-wait connection to cybergate (http://www.c-gate.net/)-- (actually it was listening on about 8 different ports). Not sure what that has to do with Alexa (if anything) but after I ran Adaware and nixed 76 other cookie data miners, I'm back in business and sailing along.

P.S. here's the first thing I found about Alexa: http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm (Interesting reading)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting how much you have to troubleshoot some problems. I thought I had found the resolution to this, with both of the two solutions above. However, the problem continued to resurface and continued to be an annoyance.

I believe I finally determined the root cause. My home network consists of 3 machines - the one I primarily use that was giving me the problems is Win2K and the other 2 are Win98se.

Apparently, one of the 98 machines was about once an hour broadcasting to see if it was the master browser and would generate an error on my 2000 machine which also thought it was the master browser. Well, you can only have one master browser, and I must have been getting all kinds of collisions as the two machines fought for the status, hence bringing my internet activity to a crawl.

I shut the 98 machine down, rebooted this one (ensuring it was the master browser, and then brought the 98 machine back up).

Haven't had a problem since. Who'd have thought. The thing that finally clued me in was this consistant error I was getting in my system event log:

Quote:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MARK1 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{48A6CC7F-66BB-4210-A27. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

*Keeping fingers crossed, but it's been a week now without this problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts