Partitioning free space and unallocated space

• dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello
I’m trying to create 1 partition from free space and unallocated space with Disk Management in Windows XP but it will not let me, it will only create 2 partitions. :banghead:

What is the difference between free space and unallocated space? I see that it (unallocated space) is not part of the extended partition. is that part of the problem?
free space = extended partiton
unallocted = :?:
and if that is part of the problem how can I extend the extended partition? :hmm: maybe this makes more sense
"How can I add the unallocated space to the extended partition"?
Thanks

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unallocated space is unpartitioned space on a disk. Depending on the number of partitions on the disk, you can create a primary or extended partition with the unallocated space.

Free space is space available within an extended partiton. This can be used to create a local drive within the extended partition.

Why in god's green earth are you using FAT32? NTFS is pretty much the standard these days in XP and Vista. Using FAT32 is going to limit what you can do with your partitions. I would seriously suggest converting them to NTFS.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Why in god's green earth are you using FAT32? NTFS is pretty much the standard these days in XP and Vista. Using FAT32 is going to limit what you can do with your partitions. I would seriously suggest converting them to NTFS

This is my cousin’s computer and until recently it used to be on a workgroup with a Win98 PC. I never got around to converting it. :oops:
When I convert it to NTFS will I be able to merge the 2 sections ?
How? :scratchhead: do I have to delete the free space and create a new separate primary partition Or can I somehow extend the extended partition?
  • DDfromKS
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Kansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a hard drive crash and had to Re-install Win XP. I have a 500 GH drive. I accidently partitioned it smaller than capacity - currently showing 127.99 GB. I have Unallocated Space of 337.77 GB.
Since my primary partition contains system info, I cannot extend it into the Unallocated space. From what I have read, I Can create an another partiton in this unallocated space. My questions concerning this unallocated space please: Will there be any impact on my current active partition when I reformat the Unallocated Space ( I am using NTFS)? Once reformatted and I assign a logical drive letter, can I save new applications program and data files & transfer old ones to it? Should I reserve some space for the future for yet a 3d partition? Thank You so much.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts