Password Protect Files

• Dark Civilian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Dark Civilian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone help me password protect my files im on Windows Xp Professional. please as ppes r goin thru my files even thou we all hve seperate users and trust me thts a pain :evil:

Dark Civilian
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is XP installed on FAT or NTFS? And Please use the spellcheck option we provide when posting, or at least take the time to type proper English instead of chatspeak.
  • The Dagger
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could make the folders hidden such that only you know the link to it. Then no-one can access it. I have done it for a couple of my "important" files. But I must admit that its not very efficient.
  • Peekie74
  • Peekie74

Post 3+ Months Ago

When your files are on a NTFS partition, you can easily password protect folders.

Well, it works a little bit the other way round. You share a folder with certain people. If only one person is allowed in that folder, only that person will be in the permitted-list of that folder.

For more people to be able to access that folder, you can add all these individuals, but you can also make groups which are granted permission. Use the tool Local Users and Groups for that.
  • Sk8erGuy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Sk8erGuy

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats is NTFS? well...i might be a pain but you can zip up all the files you have you want password protect in winrar and just password protect the .rar file.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you can afford $$:

http://www.newsoftwares.net/
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sk8erGuy wrote:
whats is NTFS?

Short for NT File System, one of the file system for the Windows NT operating system (Windows NT also supports the FAT file system). NTFS has features to improve reliability, such as transaction logs to help recover from disk failures. To control access to files, you can set permissions for directories and/or individual files. NTFS files are not accessible from other operating systems such as DOS.
For large applications, NTFS supports spanning volumes, which means files and directories can be spread out across several physical disks.
  • mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually one other way is that you can install a program called folder lock, its feature is that you can lock up your files in a folder and open them using a password you sign up for, you can get this program off the net
I'm not sure if it will help your problem
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your using FAT32 the only way i can think of protection of your files is to zip it and protect it with that or us a third parity app.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts