PHP Setup, Windows Server 2008

• jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Tennessee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so up until this point, I've always paid a company to host my php sites; however, I now have a need to bring the hosting in house. So, I'm setting up a PHP server on Windows server 2008 with Microsoft SQL 2008. I got the php running on the server and it works perfectly, until I put in my connection strings to connect to the SQL DB. Whenever I try to access the page that is connecting to the DB, I get a Server Error 500 and I can't do anything from there. I've tried all that I know to do. Has anybody ever had this problem, know of a way to fix this problem, or have you had experience setting up PHP with SQL 2008 and know steps that I should have taken, that maybe I didn't?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordon
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In case someone doesn't suggest a fix, you could just use WAMP which stands for Windows Apache MySQL PHP. It installs and configures it all for you as services. :)

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Give it a shot if nothing else works.
  • jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought about that; however, I can't use that, because I have other websites on this same server that require IIS and SQL and I don't have an extra server just for this, which is why I need to set it up in this layout.

Thanks,
Jordon
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

WAMP isn't meant for production servers, either. It should only be used for local development environments.
  • jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, after a lot of research and testing, I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with SQL, but more about PHP. The reason I say that is I wrote a simple php script that defined a varible and then echo'ed that varible, so then I'm getting the same error. I'm thinking that maybe I need to change something in the php.ini file; however, with never setting this up before, I'm not sure what that might be. Any suggestions?
  • jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got this fixed!!!! :-)

Just a word of advice for everybody, if you install PHP with the setup file, the .exe, also go back and get the .zip file, because the .exe is missing several imporant files that are needed for this to run correctly!!! Once I got the zip files, copied all of those into my php installed directory, everything worked perfectly!!!

Thanks,
Jordon
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW there is no Windows Server 2007. Only 2003 and 2008.
  • jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I knew that, I guess I just had my head up my back side when I was writing that. By time I posted that topic, I had already pulled all my hair out trying to solve the problem, so I'm pretty lucky that I got anything close to being correct!!! Thanks for pointing that out though!

Jordon
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured that is what you meant.

Just curious though, did you read any of these tutorials

http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2006 ... 2900_.aspx

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/246/usin ... on-iis-70/

There are a lot more. Microsoft did a lot of work to help out PHP users that run IIS.
  • jordonshaw
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, actually I read both of those. I've got everything up and running now and its awesome! I tried to do this a couple of months ago and had some hard issues just getting it setup, so just from then until now there was a big difference!!! This time, I got it setup really quick without any problems, other than the one that I mentioned in this thread and that's just because the setup.exe file from the PHP website didn't have all the .dll files that are needed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts