Ping:connection fine.IExplorer refuses to use the connection

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can we try this? Download firefox :http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ onto one of your desktops and burn it to CD and install it on your laptop (if you can) -- Let's see if you can connect using Firefox. If you can, then we can narrow the problem specifically to IExplorer. If not, it will verify that it's something other than IExplorer.
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually also my SSH2 telnet software I use to connect to the lab server won't work. Neither will any of the three FTP programs I use.

Does Firefox completely bypass the iexplorer to access the net?

Dennis
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No - it uses the same connection IExplorer does i.e. your Wireless card. Well, then it may be a waste of time to install Firefox if you can't FTP or Telnet either.

Other than the normal TCP/IP settings for your Wifi card, are there any other unique settings for the card we may be overlooking, such as 802.11G vs, 802.11B, etc...
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, just installed mozzilla firefox 0.8 (I could download a windows installer, no need to burn to a cd).

Firefox cannot connect, not even when I type a website IP-address directly into the address bar.

I'm at a loss...

Dennis
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

see, if it removes any corrupt keys... maybe if you have cd eventually remvoe the winsock, and replace with new ones...

just a suggestion :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice find Foxy - Got that one bookmarked in case I ever need it. Thanks
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks foxy, tried LSPfix. no success.
I had already tried winsockxpfix, also without success.

I am now removing internetexplorer from my computer and reinstalling it..... for the THIRD time.... If it doesn't work, which I by now am pretty sure it won't I will just format and do a complete reinstall.... bummer.

But not this week.

Thanks for trying and still open to suggestions,

dennis
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Other than the normal TCP/IP settings for your Wifi card, are there any other unique settings for the card we may be overlooking, such as 802.11G vs, 802.11B, etc...

Just under the Authentication tab in Network connection properties

[v] Enable network acces control using IEEE 802.1x
[v] Authenticate as computer when computer information is available

I tried unchecking those.... no difference.

Dennis
  • midhat
  • midhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay.

At first I saw that your DNS and Gateway have same IP number. They must have different IP number ;). That is impossible. Also at your network card you choose "permit only". Permit only "what" ??? Better is "permit all" :).

These days I had not time enough but I will try to solve this problem.
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I fixed the problem and wanted to let you know how.

As we had concluded here (http://www.ozzu.com/sutra87996.html#87996) the problem was with windows, not with the router or dsl modem.

In the end it was winsockxpfix that solved the problem. How can this be when I had already tried winsockxpfix several times?
I am the only user on my laptop and granted myself administrator rights. I used this account -the only account- to run winsockxpfix. As it happened, somewhere in the process of meddling with the windows installation on the laptop, I entered 'safe mode'. To my surprise windows showed myself as administrator user but also showed another administrator user, called 'administator'. When I logged on as that user (I had never installed this user, never installed a password, so I tried a blank password, which worked), and then ran winsockxpfix again, the connection was fixed.

Happy to solve the problem but I would like to know if this should have been clear from the start?

We are all equal but some administrators are more equal than others: Is there always a 'super-administrator' user in windows xp that has more administrator rights than other administrator users?

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Dennis
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah...that's a little odd. Any user that is a member of Administrators should be able to do the fix. However, what some don't realize is that by default a user account is a member of the "user" group. If you make a user an admin, then you should also, always remove the "user" group from the account group membership. The inheritance kicks in and in some instances, the "user" settings will overide the "administrator" settings.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added note to this thread for others who may have this problem in the future. I had the identical problem with one of my workstations at the office this morning. In my case I ran ipconfig /flushdns on both the Domain server and the client workstation and that was sufficient to resolve the problem.
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi again,

Quote:
Added note to this thread for others who may have this problem in the future. I had the identical problem with one of my workstations at the office this morning. In my case I ran ipconfig /flushdns on both the Domain server and the client workstation and that was sufficient to resolve the problem.

Wrote down the /flushdns for trouble to come.
Hope the thread will proof helpful to others. My webpage hosting the jpegs of my router setting has been cleared (see one of the earlier posts in this thread). The images are thus no longer available. Not of paramount importance since the solution was not in those settings.

:salut: Dennis
  • lifeast
  • Born
  • Born
  • lifeast

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get the same problem in windows 2K server!
i can ping any pc in the world by ip address,but can't open the site by use IE.
my other pc can work right at the same net config!
use nslookup get mesage :defaut server:unknown
is there has file like winsockfix.exe to fix windows 2K server?
my email:gototec@msn.com
:oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you running a DHCP server and a DNS server (are they both on the Win2K server)? Is the server IP static? Have you added your ISP's DNS servers to the Server Scope in DHCP and is DNS inyour server TCP/IP configuration configured to include the external Name servers.

When you configre DNS, the logical thing to do is always in addition to your internal DNS server always add the external ISP's 2 name servers also. That way if the computer can't resolve the name using your internal DNS server, then it looks to the next IP on the list which in this case would be your ISP's name servers. If it can't resolve there, then it goes to the next name server on the list etc. You can add additional name servers although the two your ISP provides should be all that's needed.
  • paul_bu
  • Born
  • Born
  • paul_bu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had similar problems (couldn't access the Internet, etc).

I applied Method 1 of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 817571 , and it now works perfectly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;817571

I hope this helps.

Paul
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to Ozzu Paul. Thanks for the post. We certainly appreciate the helpful feedback.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 47 posts