playing SVCD in media player

• maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can Windows Media Player play SVCD format? if it can't, what software can i use to watch SVCD videos?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

SVCD is encoded using MPEG-2 which I believe can be played by Media Player v8 at least. Its more a matter of Codecs than the ability of the player. I'll just see if any of my files are mpeg-2..
It should play I believe.. I can't see any just off hand but here are two codecs I have which are MPEG-2(They are in the K-Lite Codec Pack).
Ligos MPEG-2 decoder [version 4.0.77]
Elecard MPEG-2 decoder [version 2.0.0.2525]
This site looks interesting. Lots of Codecs and info:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/
Looks like it also has several codec packs of its own, they look pretty decent to me. Only had a look at the Ace Mega Codec Pack. Looks pretty all encompassing to me.. Heres a link to the K-Lite Codec Pack:
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

Good luck with it, Before you purchase any on my advice I'd welcome any input from other people on the forum who may have had different experiences? If I have a moment I'll run a small vid file through the burner and test it..

Alkatr0z
  • maxdy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • maxdy
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like Alkatr0z says, you really need to get an Mpeg2 encoder installed...

But still, even with an Mpeg2 encoder, chances are, Media Player is going to distort the image (as far as I know, there's no way to control perspective ratios - so you're gonna end up watching movies half as wide and twice as high as they should be). You might wanna try Zoom player (again, you'll need the right codecs installed), or some actual DVD playing software.

Now, I create presentations for some of my clients in SVCD format so that they can play them on a regular standalone DVD player (Sam's Club sells one for 40 bucks that supports SVCD - and it's actually a pretty neat lil player), but without compromising quality (which you lose a LOT of on regular VCD). I just use Cyberlink PowerDVD that came with my DVD drive for playing the SVCDs on the computer, but you can probably find some DVD playing software pretty cheap on eBay if you don't have any already - this would probably be your best bet over using the Mpeg2 Codec on regular Media Player, or even Zoom Player.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts