Pleasantly surprised by MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't normally have a lot of positive things to say about Microsoft, but I wanted to mention this one. I know most of you have seen this being downloaded each month in windows updates. I basically knew it ran in the background during the updates. What I didn't think about until today is that it can be run as a standalone tool.

Basically it runs only once a month during the updates and I think it only does a "quick" scan.

With the standalone you can actually do a full scan. It's found in C:\Windows\system32\MRT.exe in both XP and Vista.

I ran it on a Vista computer that I had already removed about 75 viruses/trojans/adware/malware from that was still blue screening randomly as well as still had a browser hijacker. I had already run a half dozen of my favorite proggies including Malwarebytes, Adaware, Spybot, CWShreader, HJT and a trendmicro housecall scan in both regular and safe modes.

What surprised me was it not only found another downloader that none of the others had, but also a rootkit that I suspected. (not to mention it resolved the blue screen issue)

I definitely recommend keeping it in your anti-malware "toolkit".

Here's more about the standalone
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwa ... fault.aspx

As a side note, this laptop was given to a kid and was brand new (just got it last week). He already had limewire on it and the McAfee antivirus hadn't been activated yet. Parents - if you don't watch what your kids do on their computers, shame on you! This computer was basically trashed in less than a week.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ran that standalone yesterday, found no errors or warnings..

Kind of felt good after that.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah limewire is ridiculous I actually wrote a page on why p2p is so bad on our school website.

Sad thing, every single computer I have touched that has teenagers has limewire.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
Yeah limewire is ridiculous I actually wrote a page on why p2p is so bad on our school website.

Sad thing, every single computer I have touched that has teenagers has limewire.

You wouldn't see limewire on my computer ;)
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummm just on the parent issue. When my daughter is old enough to use a machine first thing that happens is she gets restricted user account access, next thing that happens is a proxy goes up with strict rules and finally she is not allowed to use the machine unless we are aounrd her and can actively check in on what she is doing.

Too many nasties happening on the internet and we as parents need to more actively protect our children.

On the MRT, known about it for a while but thanks for pointing out it can be run as a standalone tool, time to set up a scheduled task!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
Ummm just on the parent issue. When my daughter is old enough to use a machine first thing that happens is she gets restricted user account access, next thing that happens is a proxy goes up with strict rules and finally she is not allowed to use the machine unless we are aounrd her and can actively check in on what she is doing.

And the next thing that happens, she starts to dislike you and probably try/attempt/will leave your house early.

But don't start a parenting argument with me... you will say I'm not a parent and that is true, but I've being in my parent's shoes and I'm in my own shoes and know how it is to be over-protected...

Holly smokes, I just went from the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to parenting conversations :lol:

Back on topic, I would try that tool whenever I manage to get virus on this new computer :roll: I found to be successful at those for some reason :x lol
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dude, that is not over protective. No teenager is ever capable of making a decision that is good for them. Been there, done that, regret every one i made. Besides, I would rather protect her than have her wind up dead or exploited. You not a parent so no you don't get to make those comments and you forget I was a teenager that left home early. You can't make a statement like that and tell me I can't comment seeing as you have no clue. That is a bit arrogant to be honest.

It is my God given responsibility to take care of the children that the Lord has blessed me with. Not to provide a place where they can do what they want when they want. Computers are all around us and it is my responsibility to teach them how to use it properly and safely. When you first learned how to drive you had someone in the vehicle with you explaining what to do. Di it make you want to leave home early? Didn't think so. It is about providing an environment that is safe and disciplined to learn how to handle the dangers of this world in a way that will keep them safe.

Anyone that is taught to use a computer safely and cautiously will not need this type of software. The entire time I have owned a computer I have had exactly ZERO viruses or worms and other nonsense and any machine that sits on my network will conform to the saftey precautions I have put in place. Simple as that.

So back on topic, this software is great for diagnostics but in theory shouldn't really be neccessary.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
No teenager is ever capable of making a decision that is good for them.
That is the sentiment that I hate within parents... no trust whatsoever to their kids.

The reason I said that stuff is because my parents are trying to over protect me as well. Maybe instead of watching her every move on the web, you teach her how to properly use it... except deleting history or cookies if you really need to see what she was doing.

I'm sorry for changing the topic and getting a number of you mad at me about my sudden outburst... it's just that I had this type of conversation with a lot of other teenagers like me, and they all dislike their parents and usually come home around 3AM because they don't feel like their at home when they are at home... one of the people I talked to feels like at home when he is driving or camping at least 50 miles away where there is no phone service.

I'm not telling you how it is from a parental point of view, I'm telling you how it is from a teenager's point of view.

I agree that you shouldn't need any Malicious Software Removal Tool if the computer is used properly but a mistakes happens... or in other words, sh!t happens :lol:

I'm now trying to use my computer properly... well, I'm trying to keep it free from viruses and infections by installing MJ Registry Watcher and having an active firewall... I'm going to do a full scan periodically to see how well that is going a long for me... hope that all goes well.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
That is the sentiment that I hate within parents... no trust whatsoever to their kids.

It is funny because it would seem that teenagers don't trust their parents. So i guess it kinda swings both ways :)

Bogey wrote:
Maybe instead of watching her every move on the web, you teach her how to properly use it... except deleting history or cookies if you really need to see what she was doing.

Isn't that what I said?

Bogey wrote:
I'm sorry for changing the topic and getting a number of you mad at me about my sudden outburst... it's just that I had this type of conversation with a lot of other teenagers like me, and they all dislike their parents and usually come home around 3AM because they don't feel like their at home when they are at home... one of the people I talked to feels like at home when he is driving or camping at least 50 miles away where there is no phone service.

You will only appreciate your parents when you yourself are a parent or move out and start taking care of yourself. Then you are going to think the same thing we all did "flip I wish I had listened to my parents" or "you know what, my folks were absolutely spot on!"

Bogey wrote:
I'm not telling you how it is from a parental point of view, I'm telling you how it is from a teenager's point of view.

Bare in mind that I as many others once was a teenager as well and no, the world hasn't changed that much since I was a teenager. People still shafting people looking to take advantage of them. The only thing that has helped me get as far as I am is the grace of God and the hidings and discipline my folks instilled in me. I hate them when I was a teenager and now I wish I had taken more notice of what they were trying to tell me because I would probably be even further.

Bogey wrote:
I'm now trying to use my computer properly... well, I'm trying to keep it free from viruses and infections by installing MJ Registry Watcher and having an active firewall... I'm going to do a full scan periodically to see how well that is going a long for me... hope that all goes well.

Legend!

P.s accidents don't "happen". They are generally caused by neglect or a lapse of concentration. Time to accept responsibility for our actions :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disowned my father in July. He's getting old and realizing that he should have tried to be my friend instead of my protector so he tries to contact me occasionally.

I think it's funny. There had always been a sort of closed door policy with him, we literally had to stand at his bedroom door and talk to him through it if we wanted to ask permission to eat things in the fridge/cabinets as kids.

I'm reluctant to say this because I'm aware some people at Ozzu were adopted and I don't want to make anyone fell bad, but at least kids who were adopted had parents who actually cared enough about them to make sure they were taken care of by someone who could do it. My parents didn't want me to begin with but kept me to spite the people who told them they were failures.

In any event, I don't mean to tell anyone how to raise their kids. As long as they're not stealing my stuff or tearing up my grass I honestly don't care if your kids invent something to change the world or end up performing sexual favors for crack in back alleys. I just want to provide some insight to what you may go through if you try to protect your kids but forget to be their friend. :)

But yeah, I've been happy with Microsoft products lately too. :D
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grey... drives me mad

There is a time to be a friend and a time to be a parent. As long as you don't sacrifice the discipline to be friends because at the end of the day you are first and foremost a teacher.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Rabid Dog: I hope I didn't bring any hard feelings to any of us... it's just bad when a teen's life is ruined by hateful feelings...

I actually know a lot of families whose parents aren't that protective and they are each other friends... I kind of envy those people.

Anyway... please let stuff this topic... I don't know why I continued on it, but if you want to reply, then go ahead... if I don't find that offensive I might not reply on the topic :lol: I guess I shouldn't have started this in the first place... what got to me was that my parents are so over-protective, they don't give me any life... no breathing room, no space for privacy, nothing!

I shouldn't tell you how to raise your kid. I'm sorry.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts