Please help - stuck in a loop - PXW-E61, PXE-M0F

• Brandydan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Brandydan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please help - I'm no where near a computer expert; I just know the basics, so please bear with me.
We have a laptop - Toshiba Satellite P35 (we call it the Black Hole); problems from the get-go...bad motherboard, overheating issues, I had to learn how to disembowel the thing to clean out the fans and heatsink as well as solder the plug....It is wi-fi compatible, plus we have a Verizon internet card, and an external mouse (not sure if this is important). We also use Norton. A lot.

Anyhoo, a few days ago, the computer was working fine. We did our regular internet searches, the Thing beeped its low battery thing, I logged out before turning the computer off to attach it to the plug to recharge the battery.

When I went to restart it, I get the Black Screen, Media test failure, check cable, PXE-M0F Exiting PXE-ROM, plus Realtek RTL 8139(x)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller, directions to start it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. I tried disconnecting the Wi-Fi, but still get into the same loop. I tried changing the boot order (originally was Hard Drive, CD/DVD, Network Boot, Removable Devices), but still cannot get past the loop. But, no matter what I choose, it goes to the beginning part of Windows XP, the little blue 'marker thing' below the Windows logo runs through twice, then BACK to the start in Safe Mode.

I go into F2 and F12 to see how to reboot, and no matter what I do, it will not allow me to reboot.

I have the reboot CD, and even though I can hear the CD humming, it will not start the CD, it will not acknowledge anything. I cannot get into C prompt, nada.

When I check any of the Modes, it runs through the screen a whole list of the following:

multi(0)disk(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS......

:( I realize that somehow we have a dying or dead computer, but this thing is less than a year old, we don't mishandle it, and just seconds before it started with the start up loop thing, it was working fine.

Is there something I could be missing to get the computer to read the reboot disk? Is there a way to even, temporarily, get this computer started so I can quickly backup some files (as in my husband's thesis), in case I need to purge this computer? Is there a sort of external drive, or device that I can get to at least try to fix or repair or reboot this computer.

Any sympathetic, easy to understand advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brandydan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if laptops work the same as computers or if this would work, but I was thinking, could you make the hard drive you are using right now as a slave and buy an external hard drive and make that hard drive as a master hard drive? Just a thought. Anyone who knows about computers well could say yay or nay to that suggestion.

Is the power cord connected the right way? Is it not broken or anything? Try with another power cord although I'm thinking I'm just going a bit crazy here :lol:
  • Brandydan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Brandydan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Bogey - actually, my husband's crewmate who is a computer junkie suggested the same thing, so I'm going to pull the hard drive from the laptop, place it into an external hard drive, and see if my computer at work can read it, at least to pull data from it.

He mentioned that it sounded as if the driver(s) are toast, and that the harddrive needs to be rebooted to fix the drivers (sounds greek to me), and that the recovery/reboot disk should fix it enough.

One thing, though, is that the recovery disk from Toshiba lists Windows 98, while the computer is Windows XP. While I realize that I will need to reinstall all the 'extra' programs like our camera/pictures, other software (I make sure to keep the disks).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The computer isn't Windows XP, thats the OS. I assume your computer is Toshiba. In that note, you could install the Windows XP rather than Windows 98. Just buy a Windows XP CD and place that in the CD-ROM rather than the Toshiba Recover Disk. I think that is alright, or you have to install the OS using Toshiba Recovery Disk and then install the Windows XP. I'm not sure, never done that.

Or just install Windows 98 using Toshiba Recover Disk.
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, in my opinion, you should check fisrt that whether the hard disk or EMS memory is hot,if it unfortunately is true ,change them at once.
if not,it's software's problem ,you should check the system process(by Anti-virus sofeware)whether they are normal.may be you are attacked by computer virus,take your hard disk out and copy the date by another computer,then reinstall your windows xp operation system

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts