PM pop-up error? Problem Resolved

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A question for all logged in members.

For the last two days I have been getting a javascript runtime error on two of my computers (one running XP Pro, and the other running Win2K Pro) when I get a private message waiting pop-up notification. I've been talking about this with bigwebmaster, and we've experimented, but he doesn't get the error.

On both computers I'm using IE 6 SP1 with all updates installed. The error message would be similar to this when you click the "here" link:

Quote:
Line 67
Char 2
Error: 'opener.document' is nul or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://ozzu.com

or this:
Quote:
A Runtime error has occurred
Do you wish to debug?

Line: 66
Error: 'opener.document' is null or not an object.

We'd be interested to know if anyone else is getting similar error messages like this with private message notification pop-ups.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have never had a problem like this but its sounds to me something in the way the page is writen or the code is somehow been messed up.

good luck with it
try to
  • assneck
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: seattle, wa

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW did you ever fix this? For about the past week i have been getting these type of errors on about every site i go to if they have popups. I have a popup blocker but i still get the stupid error. Im not sure why it started all of the sudden. thanks

assneck
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhh I can try answering for him,

do you have this program on your computer:

Quote:
C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/IDE/IDE98/MSE.EXE

It is a debugger or something... :-?
  • assneck
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i have
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\COMMON\IDE\IDE98
but the only thing in that folder that i see is some file called ASP.tbl whatever that is. i have no idea what microsoft visual studio is..did it come with ms office or somthing? what am i supposed to do? delete this?
thanks

assneck
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No assneck, not necessary to delete. It appears to be a handy little tool, except that I haven't taken the time to learn how to use it properly yet. I'm not sure if it comes with Office or not, but it may. I installed Office 2000 on both machines recently.

Thanks b_heyer. I forgot I posted this here, and then when I figured it out at the mod board I forgot to come back and update it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So did you figure out the resolution ATNO/TW ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, not really. Just knowing what program is being executed to debug. I looked at your code and my code carefully, and the only difference in our scripts is you have the javascript for the link rollover, but the actual location where the error is the code is identical. You can consider this closed though. If I ever come accross a solution I'll let you know.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it turns out that this isn't really a problem after all. The MS Development Environment by default is doing what it's set to do.

The cause is Just-in-Time debugging and apparently is part of Visual Studio as I suspected earlier. I started playing around with the options on the proggy and discovered it. Here's the Microsoft link that explains it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... ugging.asp

As I stated earlier the path to the program is here:

Quote:
C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/IDE/IDE98/MSE.EXE

Actually I created a desktop shortcut for it. The bottom line to turn off the debugger tool, got to Tools|Options and navigate to the debugger thread. Uncheck Just-in-Time Debugger. Click OK - You're done. No more debugging error alerts. I tested this with phpbbhacks.com where I got these messages all the time and just had a test PM sent to me and it took care of this issue.

I still am not sure where the program came from. I installed IIS on this computer when I installed Win2K Pro, and I think it may have been included in that package. Or it may have just came with Win2K. I don't know, but I feel much better now that I've figured it out and have a new toy to play with in the process!

Aren't computers wonderful! Every day I learn something new!
  • assneck
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW, I did what you said and my problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for figuring it out.

- assneck
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad it helped. It was sure frustrating me too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts