Port forwarding and static IP's

• Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so i recently set up a static IP on my desktop and on my xbox360. i set up the port forwarding on the 360 and set it up on the desktop for torrents etc... this went off without a hitch

now... the problem is this:
i am now trying to set up a static IP on my laptop, ive gotten a range pf possible IP's from
http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
but when i enter any of the IPs it suggests, i cannot connect to the web.

the fishy thing is this...
the DNS servers on my laptop match the DNS on my 360.

for example.. the dns on my desktop is **.**.**.125 and .126

the DNS on my 360 is **.**.**.127 and .128

the DNS on my desktop is also **.**.**.127 and .128

why are the DNS's the same on my 360 as they are on my laptop? and when i try to adjust these values, i cannot connect.
i have called my ISP and they tell me that im should not even be allowed to set up ONE static IP and they were baffled that i was able to set up TWO. the told me that i could not set up a static IP on my laptop, so i left it at that since i dont want em charging me for other stuff.

i know there is a way to get different DNS numbers (since i think they are the ones im needing), but if i try any in the correct range, they do not work.

i hope this wasnt too confusing, but if anyone can offer advice, id really appreciate it.

-Matt
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that web site giving you external IPs or internal IPs? If they are external, I would like to know where they are coming from and who owns them.
  • Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Is that web site giving you external IPs or internal IPs? If they are external, I would like to know where they are coming from and who owns them.

im not sure... when i put in my default gateway and current IP address, it spits out 5 or 6 possible IPs to set up as static. how can i tell if hteyre internal or external?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post one of those suggested IP addresses and I'll tell you what they are doing. It doesn't have to be one that you are using but it can be. If they don't begin with 192, 172 or 10, then chances are they are external.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts