Ports

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a few questions. Now keep in mind i am very new at ports i only discovered how to use them recently. I am currently using the windows Xp built in firewall but i intend to buy a linksys firewall/router soon (is this firewall any good?). Anyway my question is when I want to open a port i go to firewall properties then under services i go add. As an example i put Torrent as my description but then i do not know what to put in Name or Ip address of the computer hosting this service on your network. So not realy knowing what to put i put in "Winxp". Torrent service now works through the windows built in fire wall. Was this right to type in Winxp for the name or address ip? seems to work but i want to be sure.

oh and by the way can anyone refresh my memory as to what the command for refreshing the internet is.... i know its something "release" or something like that.

Thanks all
  • kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hai there,

1 :arrow: A port is something that really gets you connected form one computer to another computer. Different internet based program uses different ports. Usually "hppt" uses port 80, FTP" uses 21 like that. In the case of torrents and downloading software its very difficult to block ports. Because these softwares are buit to change ports if one of the ports which it is using is blocked. So you cant stop a torrent by just blocking a single port. You will have to block the entire ports. If you do that some thing that will be useful for you will also get blocked. Eg:- Yahoo messenger uses port <5000 for its various communications. So if you block that port the yahoo messenger will not work properly.

2:arrow: As far as I know firewalls are used for high security options. The use of firewall will differ according to your requirement. If you thing it will work against hacking or hacker, I personally dont think so. Because if he is smart it is not at all a matter for him to bypass a firewall.

Regards,
Kuttan
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say dump winmx firewall and get something better. Torrents use ports 6881-6999, so to get a decent connection with decent speed you need to ensure those ports are open in your firewall. Otherwise you are not going to have much luck using torrents.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't torrent a file sharing program? Your brave mentioning one of those here :lol:
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

//lol

Regarding you other question (wich I saw between lines :D )

Quote:
i intend to buy a linksys firewall/router soon (is this firewall any good?)

I have a Linksys (BEFSR81) web enabled router with NAT protection, which means Network Address Translation Technology. It prevents hackers from seeing (and attacking) your network address while you're surfing the web. It's been almost a year and a half since I bought it and never had any trouble, they are easy to configure as a gateway for internet and opening ports is as easy as 123. Take a look at linksys.com and check the "Educate Me" section so you can answer your questions deeper.

From Linksys
Quote:
NAT technology translates IP addresses of a local area network to a different IP address for the Internet. Each computer on your network has a local IP address. When the router gets the data transmission to forward out to the Internet, the router puts a different IP address on the transmission. This way, whoever receives the data transmission doesn't know what the actual IP address of the computer is, so the computer is hidden, safe from prying eyes.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i do not see anything wrong with file sharing... i do not download illegal software. Torrent is used for much more then that. lots of websites eg. File planet allows you to download their patches and demos over torrent insted of waiting in line at their servers saving me a ton of time for downloading patches. Torrents also gives me the satisfaction of helping other people download the patches, mods and demos by uploading to them.

oh and thanks labrego for the input on the linksys router... i think i will get it.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are welcome :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts