Printer Driver Transferring

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there some way I can get the drivers for a printer from one computer to the next? I just went into work and consolidated some computers, and we seem to have lost one of the driver disks for a barcode printer. Any that I foud online were the wrong version, so I was hoping to be able to transfer the driver from one box to the next (preferribly by floppy disk).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Print a test page on one that has the drivers. It will tell you the files and locations of what drivers are being used. Copy them to the same directories on the other computer. (note - I've never tried that so I'm not 100% sure it will work, but worth a shot.)
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you can just use the Hardware wizard and specify the location where windows should search for the driver. so you need the network address of the other computer that has the driver
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*duh -- Good call Ragnar78 -- Why didn't I think of that! *lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

but I don't know where it is on the first computer...(I don't have access to the printer, it was some special label printer or something)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer, I think what Ragnar78 is getting at is map a drive on the computer without the good driver to the Administrative c$ share on a computer that does have the driver. Then when installing the printer, select "have disk" and browse to the mapped drive for the "good" computer. As long as the inf file is located on that computer the wizard should find it and extract it.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Totaly correct...and usualy seek in %systemroot%\system32 (i guess this is the variable tha holds the name of the directory of windows)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh I see what your saying, which leads to the next problem, the computer doesn't recognize the printer as plug and play, I have to add it manually, then do the have disk thing. But I'll have a look see in those directories. Man I dislike windows :-P
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

is the printer being shared on the PC it is currently hooked up to? If so then on the second PC just add printer -> network printer -> and let windows find and copy the drivers needed for the printer ;)
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
is the printer being shared on the PC it is currently hooked up to? If so then on the second PC just add printer -> network printer -> and let windows find and copy the drivers needed for the printer ;)

agree with that, beside make sure u r in the same workgroup other wise u wont see the printer on ur network
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guys -- you're forgetting...in spite of the potential solution, if the inf file is not on any of the "good" computers but rather on a "lost disk" b_heyer is still SOL. He needs the correct inf file, so if none of the above works, perhaps you could provide brand model of the UPC printer?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've searched on google a lot since I got back, but while woring there I couldn't find the right driver. I am hoping that this place: http://www.seagullscientific.com/aspx/thermal_95.aspx has the right one.

The printer is a TSC TTP-243 as listed, but some of the drivers we tried at work were TSC TTP/TDP-243(E), even though listed as compatible with the TTP-243. I am hoping this site isn't the same of course.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Guys -- you're forgetting...in spite of the potential solution, if the inf file is not on any of the "good" computers but rather on a "lost disk" b_heyer is still SOL. He needs the correct inf file, so if none of the above works, perhaps you could provide brand model of the UPC printer?

If the printer is shared correctly the PC sharing the printer will make all drivers available to the second PC, no need for a driver disk :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I copied everything in windows/system32/drivers/ to a disk. None of the files in there were .inf but I figured I'd try anyways. No luck. Any other ideas? My mom (who works at this place) is going to try calling the company they bought it from today. And I really wanna get my hands on this computer and clean it off....
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

try /windows/inf for inf files ;) (you may have to change the view so you can see hidden files/folders)

and like I said earlier if the printer is being shared correctly, when you add new printer -> select network printer and follow the on screen instructions and it should get the drivers from the PC that the printer is hooked directly to it.

There is an option when you share a printer to make the drivers available, so when you add the printer to a PC that is networked to the PC sharing the printer you can install the printer with out a disk.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am totally looking at the same type of solution MD, but I guess here's what's bothering me about the approach we're taking. Let's take your scenario. Now, if the network is set up on a Windows (or even like in my case, a Novell server) you can set it up so the drivers get pushed to the requesting computer.

However, in a simple p2p, even when selecting a network printer, if the requesting client doesn't have the drivers the wizard will still force you to choose "have disk" (at least I haven't been able to get it to do anything else). Even if you map a network drive, the wizard is only going to let you select inf files and if the inf file for this particular printer wasn't copied to the other machine in the first place, I think b_heyer is stuck with his orignal problem in trying to find the correct driver from the printer manufacturer or elsewhere.

I think you have the right idea, but I'm not sure it will do it on a p2p.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you mean, I have about 5 to 6 PC's that connect thru one cable/DSL router w/4 port hub + a built in AP. I also have a 24port baystack hub plugged into one of the ports <- don't ask :D (got a sweet deal at the TRW show $40 for a 24 port hub & 24 port switch, both baystacks 10/100) anyways, all the computers on the network are p2p no dedicated server. And the two machines that have printers attached to them just share the printers and I setup two other machines to have access to the printers the same way I described earlier in this topic. I hope this clears it up a little, so you know where I'm coming from on this :D oh and the OS's are win98sec, win2k, and XP. One day I will draw out the layout and you can see how the network spans from the house to the garage office to supply 10/100 and phone over one exterior grade cat 5 cable :twisted: <- don't knock it I thought it was really cleaver at the time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts