XP Pro customization, Dual Hard Drive, Keyboards

• snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a few questions about Windows XP.
If I have two hard drives on a laptop(I don't know how to set this up, either) can I alternate between which one I am operating from? For instance, I would have WinXP pro installed on both HDD's and on one(a small hard disk) I would use only for internet and not have anything I work with(transcription software or others) installed. In other words, I would want ONLY internet on this hard drive. I want this setup so I could (I am not sure how) prevent any registry changes(from viruses or the like) and only update necessary programs after reloading the registry(perhaps even reinstalling the OS).

My question is how can I set up a laptop(if not plausible on a laptop then on a desktop) computer so that I can alternate which hard drive I am running the OS from?

I would like to know how to do this in case I lose a hard drive although I think I could have a similar setup with a single hard drive being partitioned.

With a bit of reading about XP I became confused with such text stating that XP pro uses only one processor, maximum.
With the new processors(dual-core and quad-core) are all (more than one;-) ) cores being utilized equally by WinXP pro?

I have read about Dvorak keyboards and how Macintosh sets a mode that maintains the Control(something else in name?) key the same application; that is, if in QWERTY mode you press Control(?) g and this is a command, these same key inputs(key position not Control(?) and the new position for the g) yield the same result(a hot-key-mapped keyboard outlay that is maintained while typing alphabets are shifted to Dvorak).

I do not know how to do this in WinXP, and I have an additonal question regarding this area: Where would I go to find out the keys' input and the values that would appropriately modify them? On different laptop models I notice some keys are absent but are assigned a key combination so that its function is available(Fn F11 = NumLk on an Acer Aspire 5610z).
Is there a way to find out if there are pre-programmed options for the keyboard outlay for these keys?(within the OS? drivers?)
As for tangible keyboards, is there a customizable keyboard(I would like a near-mirror setup)?
I would like to move the arrows, backspace, delete, and the number bar and have mirrored Tab, Caps Lock, Shift, Enter, Control, WinKey, and Fn(function key)s.
Know ye of such an outlay? Know where I can have such customizations made?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You cannot alternate between hard drives without rebooting. You can have two hard drives with XP loaded on them. Why you would want to do this I have no idea as it is really unnecessary. There are other options to avoiding spyware and virus's.

I have several dual core PC's running XP pro without an issue. The actual hardware requirements for XP Pro state that dual processors are fine
Microsoft wrote:
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

As for your Dvorak question, I have no idea.

Laptop FN keys are setup by the manufacturer's and is not OS dependent. So you will need to look at the laptop manufacturer website for details on what keys are coded for what.

As for a fully customizable keyboard you may want to look at the Optimus Maximus Keyboard.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

that keyboard is freakin sweet :D

i about shat myself when i saw "Price: 12,999.00" but then i noticed it was some currency i didn't recognized & its $4xx USD. still expensive, but still sweet.

definitely agree having two installations of xp would be unnecessary =\
to setup a pc to boot from multiple hard drives, you need a boot loader. windows has a (*plum*) built in boot loader which will detect windows-only os's. acronis also make a graphical boot loader (i dont know what the point of it being graphical is), but that comes with acronis disk director suite as an optional installation package. there are also free / open source software solutions to boot loaders, the "main two" being lilo and grub. usually people dont use these unless they install linux to a partition, but *shrug..they'd serve the purpose.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you both :-D
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooooooo I think that Tactus is even shinier as you can modify the shape o' the keys and wHatnots ;-)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had more money the Maximus would be mine!
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

"You cannot alternate between hard drives without rebooting. You can have two hard drives with XP loaded on them. Why you would want to do this I have no idea as it is really unnecessary. There are other options to avoiding spyware and virus's."
hmmm I suppose what I was thinking is similar to a KVM switch but with abilities to alternate use ol' crappy hard drives on a newer computer lickety-split among each other. Oh, well...for now, weep. Thanks.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might but I am not sure install XP twice on the same drive (not sure how it would help) then it gave me the option as to which to boot up ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts