Problem obtain IP and DNS address automatically

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have setup a Windows 2003 Server domain controller and a couple of clients joining the domain controller. The problem I'm having right now is that the client computer does not obtain the DNS and IP address automatically from the domain controller. In the properties of the Internet Protocal(TCP/IP), the radio buttons of the Obtain an IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Automatically is already checked. But when I tried to surf the Internet, it doesn't work. I went into the command prompt and type ipconfig/all to verify if the client computer receive an ip address and dns server address but it doesn't. I know that this setup in the client computer works fine under Windows 2000 Server domain controller. Now, if I specifically put in the DNS server address in the client computer (TCP/IP) properties then it works. So my other question is, is this the new settings for Windows 2003 Server domain controller? Personally, I don't think this is the correct settting because this is so inconvenience. I have to go to every client computer and manually put in the DNS address.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

ljCharlie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you installed the DHCP server and set up your scope? The client machines, if set to automatically obtain an IP, get it from the DHCP server, not the DNS server.

Based on your problem description, I'd say that's the issue. Once it's installed and you've created your scope, you need to remember to "authorize" it (under "Action")
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have setup the DHCP server and it's working. Like I said, if I specify the DNS and Gateway IP under (TCP/IP) properties then I was able to surf the Internet and receive a local IP address from my DC.

ljCharlie
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you get any DNS errors when installing Active Directory?

Can you successfully ping your server from your server? Can the clients successfully ping the server?

On your DHCP Scope (Server Options) did you set the correct values for:
003 Router - your router IP
006 DNS Servers - your DNS server IP (should be same as domain server)
015 DNS Domain Name - (Obvious)
044 WINS NBS Servers -Your WINS Server IP (same as domain server)
046 WINS NBT Node Type - should be hybryd (0x8)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the default gateway set to on your client stations? You will need
to specify the default gateway no matter what setup you have.

In most cases, it's your internal network braodcast address -
ex. 192.168.0.1

If your router and/or server are set to this IP, then it will still be that.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about Windows 2003 Server, but I believed the DHCP server is working fine. What I'm not sure is the DNS server. I read somewhere that I don't need to setup WINS anymore.

Yes, the internal gateway is 192.168.0.1 but I don't remember setting up any internal gateway or dns on my client computer under Windows 2000 DC. Like I said, if I specify the DNS and Gateway in my client computer then it works just fine.

ljCharlie
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

ljCharlie wrote:
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have setup the DHCP server and it's working. Like I said, if I specify the DNS and Gateway IP under (TCP/IP) properties then I was able to surf the Internet and receive a local IP address from my DC.

ljCharlie

I do not think DHCP is working then. If DHCP was working then you wouldn't have to manually put in the dns and gateway IP. I believe it would figure that all out on its own. If DHCP was not working then you would have to manually put in the information to get it to work like you did.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

So how can I tell that the DHCP is working properly? Becase I was able to see the client computer name and ip address. In addition, I was able to login from the client computer and load my profile from the DC. If it is not working, how do I go about configuring?

ljCharlie
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the point of having DHCP is to be fully automatic with the logon
config. If you are having to manually set anything, then DHCP is
definitely not working.

I'm not sure of your skill level with networking, so bear with me if you
know how to do all this.

On a client computer -
1. Click START, then RUN
2. Type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit enter. A console window will appear.
3. In the console, type "ipconfig /release" (no quotes).
4. Then type "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes). This should show you the
new status of your network ip.
5. Then type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) to see all of your settings for the
network.

Tell us what the ipconfig /all shows you.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now I'm not at the station has this problem but when I do an ipconfig/all, I receive something with 125.something.something.something. I'll give you more specific information when I get home. However, this 125 ip address only shows up if in the client computer, I select the Obtain automatically radio buttons for DNS and IP address. If in the Default gateway and under the DNS section I specify the addresses then the client computer will automaticall show the correct IP address that's been assigned from the DC computer works fine.

ljCharlie
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

if I understand what you are saying, that is perfectly normal.

The 125.x.x.x address is probably from your ISP, and this is because your
client machine thinks the ISP's gateway is the default. This is really
stupid, I know, but it is the case. All you have to do, is go into your
Advanced settings of the client machine and set the default gateway
behind the automatic settings and it will work as you need it to. Which
is pretty much what you are telling it to do anyway.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still have to believe that the DHCP Server is not functioning correctly.

First it sounds like your default gateway is set wrong as pointed out above. Your default gateway should be the same as your router. You can set this in DHCP as I detailed above.

Quote:
On your DHCP Scope (Server Options) did you set the correct values for:
003 Router - your router IP
006 DNS Servers - your DNS server IP (should be same as domain server)
015 DNS Domain Name - (Obvious)
044 WINS NBS Servers -Your WINS Server IP (same as domain server)
046 WINS NBT Node Type - should be hybryd (0x8)

Actually, I was trained to put the 003 router under the scope options and the remaining three under the server options.

To go back to what you mentioned about WINS, if you're running all Win 2000 clients and servers or XP, then no you don't need WINS, however, if you are running 98 or NT clients you do.

The DHCP server is what provides their DNS server IP, the IP number the default gateway and the WINS server information when you have the clients set to automatically obtain an IP. I can tell from the way that you've stated yourself and your experience with 2000 server that this is what you want.

I truly feel you need to look closely at all your settings on your DHCP server.

These are some key steps I was trained to look for:
1)To verify and confirm that DNS is working properly you should always, before installing Active Directory, ping your Server (localhost) and make sure you have a successful ping and then run nslookup at the command prompt. If DNS is functioning properly then nslookup should return the name of the default server and the IP address. If it's not, you have a problem. I the server doesn't appear in DNS immediately you can force reigistration by typing ipconfig/registerdns at the command prompt.
***Critical!!! - in order to use Active Directory, you need to enable dynamic updates in both the forward and reverse lookup zones!!! This May Be Your Problem***
You should enable scavenging.
2)Make sure you create a forward and revers lookup zone for your router/s as at least one of these will typically be your default gateway.
Key thing is for every forward lookup zone there needs to be a reverse lookup zone.
3)After installing Active Directory you need to confirm that in your DNS server that in addition to your original forward lookup zones you also have the additional following directories: _msdcs, _sites,_tcp, and _upd
If you do not, you have a problem
4.When setting up DHCP, you need to set up any reserved IP's (server, routers, etc), and set up the scope options and server options I detailed in my earlier post.
5.There's nothing you really need to do with WINS after installing except make sure it's running. (Remember as I stated earlier if you have legacy clients on the network you need WINS.)

That's a nutshell version of about 3 weeks of instruction. Hope it helps you resolve the problem.
-----------------------------------------------
Just had an additional thought
Make sure you have DHCP turned off in your router - (many newer routers have a DHCP server built in and by default it's usually on. ) You can't have two DHCP servers running on the same LAN. The client machines will get their IP info from the first DHCP server that they communicate with, and they may just be picking it up from the router.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

First, thank you very much for your information. I'll check those settings when I get home today. However, here are additional information I discovered last night.

On my client computer I was able to receive the correct IP address from my DC computer. However, there is no default gateway ip address listed and the DNS ip address is pointed to my default gateway ip address when I do a ipconfig/all in my client computer. I was able to access the network fine and everything...except accessing the Internet in my client computer. The DC computer can access the Internet fine except all the client computers because, I believed, the default gateway address wasn't listed and the DNS address was wrong. The DHCP server in the router was disabled. In the DNS server setting, under my forward lookup in my domain name, I did see all _msdcs, _sites,_tcp, and _upd listed. But here's what I see in the event log:

Quote:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6702
Date: 7/7/2003
Time: 4:34:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CHARLIE
Description:
DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error
should be ignored.

If this DNS server's Active Directory replication partners do not have the correct IP address(es) for this server, they will be unable to replicate with it.

To ensure proper replication:
1) Find this server's Active Directory replication partners that run the DNS server.
2) Open DnsManager and connect in turn to each of the replication partners.
3) On each server, check the host (A record) registration for THIS server.
4) Delete any A records that do NOT correspond to IP addresses of this server.
5) If there are no A records for this server, add at least one A record corresponding to an address on this server, that the replication partner can contact. (In other words, if there multiple IP addresses for this DNS server, add at least one that is on the same network as the Active Directory DNS server you are updating.)
6) Note, that is not necessary to update EVERY replication partner. It is only necessary that the records are fixed up on enough replication partners so that every server that replicates with this server will receive (through replication) the new data.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 2a 23 00 00 *#..

And in my client computer, I see this in my event log.
Quote:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: dnscache
Event ID: 11050
Date: 7/2/2003
Time: 8:10:58 PM
Computer: MAJTHAM
Description:
The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.
Data:
0000: before 05 00 00 ´...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event ID: 11180
Date: 7/2/2003
Time: 8:05:55 PM
Computer: MAJTHAM
Description:
The system failed to update and remove registration for the network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {1E4C1610-C843-4134-96A6-91C6D788D2BF}
Host Name : majtham
Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : personal.local
DNS server list :
192.168.0.2, 68.112.192.9
Sent update to server : None
IP Address(es) :

The reason for this failure is because the DNS server it sent the update request to timed out. The most likely cause of this failure is that the DNS server authoritative for the zone where the registration was originally made is either not running or unreachable through the network at this time.
Data:
0000: before 05 00 00 ´...

The ip address 68.112.192.9 is my ISP DNS address but this address is listed as an optional in my DNS server when the internal DNS server can't resolve.

ljCharlie
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a similar problem with Windows 2003, I have internet functioning correctly, but after I reinstalled the Windows 2003, the internet does not work. On my connection icon tray there is a question mark and the problem is CANNOT OBTAIN IP ADDRESS, i click repair and it cannot obtain it. I have installed another OS(Dual Boot) as a back up and this is why I'm online right now. I am sure that the ETHERNET ADAPTER AND MODEM that I connect with is correctly installed, but just not functioning in obtaining the IP address to get online. In here I can get online with the same modem and stuff, but when switch to 2003, it doesn't work, cannot obtain IP address. I went to the TCP/IP setup and made sure it's AUTOMATIC in obtaining the info but doesn't work, I got the IP adress and gateway and DNS and mask info from this OS and typed it in manually in 2003, but it still doesn't work. What is the problem, please help.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ljCharlie wrote:
So how can I tell that the DHCP is working properly? Becase I was able to see the client computer name and ip address. In addition, I was able to login from the client computer and load my profile from the DC. If it is not working, how do I go about configuring?

ljCharlie

I see this issue was never resolved now that ricky_yean also asked his question. You can tell if the DHCP server is running if there is a green "up" arrow when you are looking at the DHCP server in administrative tools. If it is a "down" red arrow it's not working. What a lot of people forget (or don't realise) with Win2K or Win2k3 servers, is that you MUST Activate DHCP. If you haven't activated it, it will give you exactly the results you are seeing. It won't propogate the IP's to the network. To activate it is very simple. In your DHCP server, highlight the server (typically it will be the first line computername.domainname.com)

Then click Action, then click authorize. That should authorize and "up" your DHCP server and should resolve all of the above issues.
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone explain to me what DHCP is? I am only a residential private user operating the 2003 Server by myself, does it still work with my issue?

can someone explain, in the mean time, i will go try to figure out my issue with your suggestions, thank you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Follow the path - Start|Programs|Administrative Tools|DHCP

That's your DHCP server.

Follow my prior instructions from there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the record DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.

DHCP is what sends IP, DNS, Default Gateway, Wins resolution information to the client machines when they are set to automatically obtain an IP address.

What happens is the client logs in. The client broadcasts a UDP message to the network that in essense is saying "Hey! I don't have an IP address. Can somebody give me one." The first DHCP server on the network that sees the request answers and they negotiate and agree to an IP address. (That's about as simple as I can explain it.)

As a side-note it is NOT a good idea to have more than one DHCP server running on a LAN, because you may not get good results. If the IP addresses are not distributed properly in the DHCP server's scope you may have unwanted results as are evidenced by all the conversations above.

Bottom line is, for convenience and best results, only have one DHCP server running on your LAN. This is a very common problem for those using a router that has DHCP ability. If you are experimenting with a Win2K type server and activate DHCP, but do not disable your routers DHCP you are going to run into conflicts.
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed it, THX
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent. Could you provide a brief explanation of what you did so others know? BTW - welcome to OZZU
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

i fixed it, by simply inputing the IP address manually and wait for a while and it works. I do not understand what a DHCP is, can anyone explain?

Once again, thx all
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had to again reinstall my Windows Server 2003 (the problem for this constant annoying problem I will start a new topic at a later date), and internet again does not work. The problem is the same as the one i left last time.....cannot connect to the internet because cannot obtain IP address........
I again...as i do not understand most of the solutions replied under the topic, manually inputed my IP address, mast, gateway and DNS server in the properties of my TCP/IP. But this time it did not work, and when I click "repair" the message "Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names" and i played around and tried to fix the problem but i couldn't, but i if i find out anything else i will add to this topic, so far this is all i know. OH! the loading time to start the computer got even slower than the last time i had to reinstall, and when first started the computer, some drivers don't loa :evil: d immediately, but after about 10 mins. and an error message pops out saying that "at least one or more driver failed during system start up. use event viewer," and i also know that remote access connection manager service does not start and when i try to make it start it doesn't(i think it's suppose to start right?), print spooler service also terminated. I do not know what these are, but they are the error messages that pops up.

If the information from EVENT MANAGER is required please let me know, i'd like this problem solved immediately. Thanks to all of you.

Ricky
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ricky - can you ping localhost on the server? i.e. 127.0.0.1?
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is local host?
All I inputed in my TCP/IP was my IP address, mask, gateway, and DNS server. and i believe that's all i needed last time(if memory serves me)
Just about...5 minutes ago the computer crashed again, and again the samething happened saying that the SYSTEM is corrupt or lost or something, and asks me to put in CD and click "r" in the first screen to attempt to fix it, which I'd eventually have to do tonight....which would be the 3rd or the 4th time(i'll definitely need to get this problem solved..)

In the meantime i'd like my question to be discussed and a solution and possible cause for the internet problem to be found.

What is a local host? I did not understand what u meant(with my feeble knowledge compared to the experts here, but i'm learning!).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ricky,

Just rereading your problem and looking back at the original problem, I think I'm going to have to recommend two things to you.

Number one: Buy this book and study it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 34-6175256

Number two: Get Windows 2000 or XP and install one of those until you understand Windows 2003 server and networking in general.

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, but when you tell me that you don't know what localhost is, or DHCP, I think that 2003 Server is a little bit beyond you at the moment. From your descriptions of your problems and the fact that your server keeps crashing on you, I completely believe that it's because you keep installing it incorrectly and you haven't given me any indication you have enough background knowledge to install it correctly. It took more than four weeks of classroom training and about a half dozen installs of Windows server, before I really felt comfortable that I could get it right everytime -- it also took intensely studying the afformentioned book before I really understood the answers to the questions you are asking. Believe me, 2003 server is not an extremely easy thing to install, especially if you are installing Active Directory. There are quite a few steps that you cannot overlook, and that have to be correct in order for Active Directory to function properly. I really believe that your problems stem from an improper installation of Active Directory.

The book I linked to above will help you.

I'm sorry, but I just am not going to be able to help you on a forum. You need to do some prep work and study to relieve your frustrations and correct your problems.
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will do what you told me sir, u made me realize how different 2003 is from the rest (i did took classes on 95 and 98 and that's what i'm basing my knowledge of operationg systems on, but things have changed.). i will purchase the book. Thx again.
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any kind of microsoft certificate for Windows 2003? I'd be glad to study and earn a certificate like that
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a summary of MS$ certifications. You would want to look at the MCSE and MCSA. I'm personally studying for those two, plus MCSDA.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
  • bonkas
  • Born
  • Born
  • bonkas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently working on getting MCSA and am studying for the 70-290 exam and I am having the same problem described here.

The server was working fine for about a month or two and then screwed up. After hours of trying to figure out what the problem was and surfing the internet I couldent find a resolution so I just re installed and everything was fine untill today everything seems to be messed up once again.

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail.

The server is running Active Directory, DHCP, DNS and File Server

I also have a member server running RIS, Terminal Server and WSUS

I have about 8 clients from windows xp to 2000 to 98. all unable to get dhcp information and dns not working.

If you need any other information I will be glad to provide anythin you need..

cheers

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts