problem on starting Win 98SE and CD not working.

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Sorry if this waffles on a bit.

My brother has an Intel Celeron PC running Win 98SE.

He's hit a problem and has no idea how he caused it or how to solve it. Sadly, he lives several hundred miles from me, so I'm trying to get info from him via messenger and discovered tonight that he didn't even know the fundamentals of using a PC, so it's proving a struggle to get info from him, let alone think of causes and solutions.

It's not helped when I use XP and he has 98SE, which I've kinda forgotten a lot of, so it's harder to instruct him online. To be honest, I'm impressed he managed to install and use messenger, he's such a novice, that was quite a feat. (This is no child I speak of, just a newbie on PCs... he's about 60!)

Ok, 3 things - first... he tells me...

"when I start the PC I get a box which says... 'cannot find the file 'fntldr.exe' or one of its components. I select ok and I get another box which says... could not run fntldr.exe specified in WIN.INI file"

Can anyone tell me why he might be getting this and how it can be solved, please?

His second and possibly connected problem is that his PC doesn't seem to register his CD drive at all. He says it doesn't show up as a drive at all in 'My Computer' though it did spin a disc when he put one in. How accurate that info is I really don't know. As he can't use his CD, he can't use it to do any repair or reformat using his Windows CD and I'm kind of stuck now.
He can't even tell me the make of the CD. Not on the outer front panel, so I can't go looking for drivers as I can't find out about the drive at all, so far. I didn't think it is drivers that are the prob anyway, if the CD drive didn't even show up. I'm guessing, though. It was all working fine, don't know why it isn't now.

Third thing he mentioned was that when he shuts down, he selects shut down, not restart, but it always restarts and doesn't just shut down, so, in the midst of restarting he says he hits the on/off button on front of his PC case, as it's the only way he can get it to shut down and not just restart again.

If anyone can fathom the problems and solutions from the very little info I've been able to give you, please let me know.

Thanks
C
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

First the booting problem..
fntldr.exe ntldr is a application used in Windows NT upwards I believe. It was never used in 98SE as far as I'm aware. Possibly a trojan, which would explain the slight name difference. Get him to remove it from the win.ini file.
The file is already gone, so removing it from the win.ini file won't hurt. I believe there is a section in the win.ini file called [Startup]. Though he can always just do a search for it. To open it.. Make a copy of it first though..
Start -> Run -> command -> copy C:\windows\win.ini C:\windows\win.bak
Start -> Run -> notepad.exe %WINDIR%\win.ini

As for the CD-ROM. who installed it? Check the BIOS for settings related to it. The location of it in the BIOS varies according to the BIOS manufacturer. Will most likely be in the same location as the Hard drive information, check that its on auto, something that would be easier for someone who knew a fair bit about computers to do. Check the IDE cable is in the drive properly. Check in Control Panel -> Device Manager to see if it shows up in there.

As for the final problem, I've come accross it before but can't remember how I fixed it. I'm just looking up some info though.. A few suggestions I've come accross, one interesting one was to use a supplement shutdown provided by MS for 98SE.
Here is a link to a Shutdown troubleshooter: http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
Here is a link to the supplement shutdown:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

Try the supplement before you go through the steps on the other link.
It also has a link on the supplement page to a troubleshooting page.

Good luck
Alkatr0z
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
thanks for the reply.

I'll direct him to the page for the shutdown solution. That looks straightforward. Removing the reference to the fntldr.exe sounds possible too, don't think he can go too wrong there if I explain step by step.

The CD drive was in the PC when he got it - he won the PC, new, in a competition some time ago but has relatively rarely used it over the years. The CD in it worked fine for ages but has now ceased to. I had him check device manager and it didn't show the CD up at all, he said, no reference to a CD in there at all. Also no CD drive shows up when he opens 'My Computer' or 'Explore' either, only the A and C drive show up. I doubt I can get him to check the BIOS and, being hundreds of miles from him, I can't do it for him but I reckon I can fairly safely get him to check the cables. I was saving his tampering with the machinery as a last resort, he has a tendency to have spare bits left over when he dismantles and reassembles anything and, when being given instructions, gets rather ahead of himself. I guess he'll have to be sent inside it to check the cables, though.

Thanks for your advice.

C
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

if he won it, must be new? perhaps consider upgrading to XP?

um, go to device
start -> settings -> control panel -> add new hardware

click, next, next..

tell him to see
"Is the deviced listed below"
if it is.. a sort of cd rom, tell him yes, and click next..
and follow instructions..
if it cant find new hardware, tell it to keep going, and install drivers, Windows 98SE has a list of manufactuars, and "basic" cdrom drives.. which should work for him.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a good idea from Foxy. I agree keep him as far away from those cables and BIOS settings as possible :) The reason I thought of the BIOS was that it was possible that it wasn't set to AUTO for that IDE chain position. But seeing as it was new it should have been fine. Has he had the CD-ROM problem from the very start?

Alkatr0z
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI.
Thanks for the replies.

The PC was new when he got it, a few years ago. The CD in it worked fine until relatively recently.

I'm sure he would like to upgrade to XP but until the CD works, that's not an option. I hope tonight to find out how big a HD it has... tiny, I imagine. It only seems to have 64MB RAM, though I have 256MB I can give him. I'll get such details once I've tied to solve his problems.

Hopefully, he will be online tonight and I can try those suggestions.

Thanks

C
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

xp can run on 64, but thats with very very minimal specs. I may Suggest going up to 128mbs,or, add 128mbs onto the 64mbs. or 256mbs

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts