IE 6.0 problem

• HFrM
  • Born
  • Born
  • HFrM

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Internet Explorer 6.0 only opens blank windows when I want to open a new window. I use XP. What do I do ??????????
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Chances are most are going to recommend you run Adaware or Spybot and check for spyware -- given that's a distinct possibility, but I've never seen spyware or adware proggies do this. Not saying it's not possible, so you may want to try that first. Both programs are readily found with a quick Google search.

Two other possible solutions here (i.e. repair Internet Explorer):

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-03.html

You can read more on repairing IE here:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... %22+%2B+xp

Also, by default in Win2K and XP installs,, IE installs with about a gig of space devoted to temporary internet files. I discovered that because my IE was simply crashing constantly. I determined it was do to the fact that I had almost a gig of cache of Temp files. Once I deleted them all and reduced my cache size to 5MB I haven't had that pproblem since. You might want to try deleteing Temp Internet files and lowering your cache and trying that first before repairing.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure you've already tried the obvious... but make sure you have a homepage address set in your internet options. I've got mine set to about:blank and my IE6.0 opens up blank windows, too... but I do that on purpose just to save time.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

jeannepo wrote:
I'm sure you've already tried the obvious... but make sure you have a homepage address set in your internet options. I've got mine set to about:blank and my IE6.0 opens up blank windows, too... but I do that on purpose just to save time.

I think this answer really helped him.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd. Doesn't do that on Win2K -- I just changed my home page to about:blank and when I open a new window I get a dupe of the page I'm currently viewing -- not a blank page.

Of course, that method is when I select File| New in the currently opened window. When you do that you get a dupe of the currently opened page in the new window. However, if I try to open a new window from the quickbar icon it does come up blank.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running Win2K.

It's a cool trick for those who don't want to wait for their 'homepage' to load... quick and easy.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

heehee -- here's a better home page than "blank"

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/want-ozzu-webmaster-forum-shortcut-your-desktop-t20516.html&hi ... zu+favicon

BTW - jeannepo - you should add that to the Window Tricks and Shortcuts post at the top of this forum.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D I have to admit... with as much as I've been relying on Ozzu here lately... and the awesome response I get to any problems I've thrown out to Ozzu...

I totally agree with your suggestion ! :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts