XP Problem(s)

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, I have been noticing lately that my PRocessor Usage and RAM USAGE have been running high, and I dont think it should be like that. For instance with the CPU usage, I was browsing the web, went to watch a "trailer" for the new Fast & The Furious and as soon as the trailer kicks up, CPU Usgae skyrockets to 100% and stays there for about 1-2minutes.

Upon checking the RAM usage, I have 512MB Pc2700DDR, and usga eis usually 350MB or higher.... Here are some totals, according to the Windoes Task Manager:
WINWORD.EXE 19.704K,
ICQ 9296K, AIM.EXE 5992K,
EM_EXEC.EXE 6328K,
NAVAPW32.EXE 15052K,
Smc.EXE 14464K,
svchost.exe is listed 5 times, (System 3680K,21108K, 4460K) Local Service 3564K, Network Service 2284,
NPROTECT.EXE4504K

Are these normal, to be so high usage? things just havent "felt" right the last few days and I have noticed slow performance with my PC lately...

Any help is appreciated!
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

one thing i would start with is to go to your run and type MSconfig.. go to the start up tab and bsically remove AS MUCH as you feel comfortable with... basically if you dont recognise it you can also look at the source location and if it is something you dont absolutely need to start up i would un check it. that will make a dramatic difference right there. any additional things that are running and taking up a major amount of resources. could indicate it is time for an upgrade in ram and/or cpu... ill post more in a bit..
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

another thing to note.. DO NOT end task on SVCHOST.. you'll end up with a computer rebooting with out your consent and lose all your unsaved work.. (happened to me last night as a matter of fact)

also what CPU speed are you running?
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

XP 1900+
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

should be fine as far as speed goes... the numbers you are listing above are pretty much the norm. with 512MB RAM you shouldnt be having any probs at all...
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I might buy another stick of RAM, although I dont see the OCZ High Performance chips in a 512 stick of PC2700DDR.... Guess I will have to look around a bit more!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts