problem with XP reinstall

• devs
  • devs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi people I've just had a new motherboard fitted to my PC and now all I need to do is get my OS back on (XP Pro)

When I boot from the CD it asks where I would like to install (I have an 80gb HD) and it shows...

c: Partition1 (NTFS) 76309MB (75820 MB Free)
Unpartitioned space 8mb

For some reason I can't delete the Partition nor can I create a new one and if I try and install onto the (Partition1 (NTFS) 76309MB) it says that there is already and OS on there and needs to be formatted - then if I do a quick or normal NTFS format it completes and reboots yet just come's back with the same problem.

What am I doing wrong - its really bugg'in me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to try and get some apps back on it tonight.

Cheers,

dEVS! :wink:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You most likely have your CMOS settings (what most commonly refer to as BIOS settings) set to boot from CD as the first boot device. As a result, the Windows setup program never has a chance to get to the hard drive to complete the setup program. The other scenario is that you have your boot sequence right, but when the prompt comes up after boot to hit any key to boot from CD, you are probably hitting a key which will also start the process all over again.

I'd suggest to go into setup when your computer first boots. This could vary but F2 usually gets you into set up, then change your boot device order to A: (floppy), CD device, then hard drive. Restart.

Normally, after you start a Windows OS install and it reboots, it will ask you to "hit any key" to boot from CD. Don't! Let it run it's course and you should be fine.
  • devs
  • devs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi and many thanks for the assistance you were 100% correct I changed the settings in the BIOS and managed to get XP installed fine.

Thanks again,

Steve. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to help!
  • nicholaso
  • Born
  • Born
  • nicholaso

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem, and used the fix, but keep getting the following message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Nick.
  • rockman777
  • Born
  • Born
  • rockman777

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I had the same problem while doing an XP Windows install.  I tried numerous problems to reset the MBR but nothing worked.  I then thought I would try loading my Kubuntu 9.10 disk to see if the system would run Kubuntu.  Kubuntu loaded without any problems and ran on the Dell laptop.  I then tried reloading XP with a fresh image and low and behold, it went in and worked.  It appears that the error message /windows/inf/biosinfo.inf is a symptom of a corrupt MBR that can not be fixed easily using conventional windows tools.  Give the Kubuntu 9.10 a try, then load XP.  I am sure you will find that this fixes the problem.  As a side note.  I searched for 3 or 4 hours to find someone that has fixed this problem and I could not find anyone with a good fix.  I am sure this works!!!!
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

Always keep the Windows Installation CD in the CD-ROM in order to assure the fact that no corrupted or missing files are copied during reinstallation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts