Problem with spyware in win98

• kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( Hai there its me again,

I have a very big problem this time. Two of our clients are running internet cafe's. The have a problem of spyware. When IE browser is opened.... A lot of stuffs comes right with it... I have looked at the msconfig start up file and saw a dozen of unknow programs there. I then edited the list and all. But could not make the IE to its original settings............. So i reinstalled the machine..... After a couple of weeks they called us again with the same problem.......... Can i get rid of this problem by installing some 3rd party software or can i just keep the system in its original settings some how ??? with out having any athorised axtive X installation???

Please Help
Regards,
Kuttan
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could install Adaware. It has an adware monitor that will detect malicious things. I believe that is in the Pro version only.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

adware will help u allot. I hope so

good luck
  • kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankz for the help... But can you tell me if we can block such sites at the internet sharing server machine itself.... Is there any way to block these sites in the internet sharing server itself so that i dont want to go to every client machine and install the adaware software( its a large cafe with about 25-30 machines...) So its lot more easy if you people can help me with a more convienet method of blocking these head blowing sites..........

Any way thankz for the help..... Hope you can help me again

Regards,
Kuttan
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check into symantecs, Internet Security product. It might be exactly what you need:

http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/nis_pr/features.html
  • stone
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stone

Post 3+ Months Ago

These solutions will prevent permanent changes to the system by restoring at every reboot. They are common in Libraries with public access internet PC's and work quite well.

Ken
  • kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear ATNO/TW,

:) Thankz for the help but :( There is still a problem.... I installed NIS 2004 in the server.. Then i set the rules of ad: Blocking and all. But i cant control the ads that are coming in the client computers.. (I think i have to install it in every client computer..That is difficult because there are over 30-40 computers in that internet cafe). I blocked http://www.yahoo.com in the server... When i typed yahoo in the server it was blocked... But when i tried it in the clinet computer, yahoo.com was perfretly working and i got yahoo.com... I was looking for a software or some thing that .... (When i block a site or the active X of that site in the internet sharing computer in an internet cafe it sholud blocked for every computer in the network.... ) I am currently using Windows Server 2003 and i am using ICS that comes default with the Server version... Is there any other way that i just block the active X installation on the internet sharing computer(Server) and the software will set the rules automatically for the clinet machines....................... Should i change the connection sharing program from ICS to some proxy software..................
Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

regards,
Kuttan...
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

strongly recommended: Get PCs with GIGABYTE brand motherboards. gigabytes come with a ltitle progrom installed on the bios that you can use to save all the data on the hard disk into a hidden file, and then when something goes wrong you can restore the backup in about 10 minutes.

Although admittedly that's not very easy if your client already has PCs.

The trouble with internet cafes is that you have a choice between keeping the machines clean and allowing users to do whatever they want.

Oh yeah, look into http://www.proxyplus.cz/ . It's very good software (beats ICS anyday).

You might also want to just by a home-internet-sharing-type router, and plug a switch into that (so you have more ports) and plug all the PCs into that. This way would probably give you about the same performance and a lot more control than ICS, and it would also be easier to set the whole thing up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts