problems downloading IE8

• ivansmagic
  • Born
  • Born
  • ivansmagic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello people,

Sorry if this is in the worng forum, but I am new here.

I have a problem and hoped someone could help me out.

I will try to describe this the best I can. I am using xp with sp3 and previously had ie7.
Yesterday, I tried to download ie8 but the download was interupted by my daughter pressing buttons on the keyboard.

Now I cant open ie at all. It tries to open but the window just dissapears.

I can still connect to the internet from the same computer and browse websites etc. through AOL.

I contated AOL for assistance and they told me IE8 is not compatible with the AOL software and it was a simple case of reinstalling IE7 and all would be fine.

I tried to do this but when I went to the microsoft website I could get as far as the download button, click it and nothing would happen. I have tried this several times. I have also tried to restore the computer back to before the time I tried to install IE8 but this is not helping.

I phoned AOL again who told me it was not an AOL problem as I was able to do everythinge else normally.

I do have an icon in the system tray stating that Local Area 2 connection has limited or no connectivity (4.4 mpbs ) and also cant open the internet options icon in the control panel.

I have tried to download some other stuff to find out if that works but no joy.

(ps I did use the microsoft website to install it so should not have picked up any nasties )

Any assistance you could give me in repairing this would be much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a coincidence. My aunt actually called me about a week ago with the exact same problem. Whenever she would try to open IE it would immediately crash. Actually it would just dissapear right away with no notification, but if you look here:

Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application

It would show the actual crash and what it claims caused it.

It was very hard to fix because she was not able to get anywhere on the internet to even try to redownload IE or even fix the problem, especially because she didn't have another browswer like FF.

Anyway what I told her to do which actually fixed the problem was to uninstall IE8 and IE7 completely so that it would revert back to IE6. Of course this had to be difficult too because she wasn't able to simply go in the ADD/REMOVE programs area to uninstall IE7. There was no option for her to do that there. So what I had her do was to goto the Start Menu and then Run and then type this in the box:

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Hit okay and that will actually get you through to uninstall IE7 so that you are reverted back to IE6. Once IE7 uninstalled she was able to go back into windows update and upgrade to IE7 for which it installed perfectly and the browser stopped closing on her.

This is what we did for her and it worked, let me know if it works for you.
  • ivansmagic
  • Born
  • Born
  • ivansmagic

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigwebmaster, you are a genius !!!!!!!!!!!!

that worked perfectly. thank you so much for your quick reply

heading straight to the firefox website now.

not touching IE again.

Thanks again

Ivan
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad that worked Ivan!
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

uninstalled the internet explorer from the computer.

after that try to installed the internet explorer ie 7 or what you want.

right click on the internet explorer select the properties.
copy the path of the internet explorer as below.

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

delete the entry from the windows.
start the computer.

reinstalled the internet explorer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts