Problems Reinstalling XP Home after Format.

• Fisherkat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fisherkat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, I am new here, came across this site while researching the problem I am having. There seems to be quite a few knowledgeable people here. So here is the problem that I am having. :cry:

The other day I after having some problems with my pc, I decided to reformat and do a fresh install.

It get through loading the files and rebooting, then windows restarts and
it loads the devices, and when it gets to installing network it just stops at about half way. The informational part of the screen that tells you how great and the different things the XP home is good for etc.etc..... keep changing.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why it keeps on stoping half way through installing Network. I have no pci cards in the pci slots. I have reseated the memory.

I have even con as far as installing the Hard Drive in another computer and it builds COMPLETELY on the other computer. I then take the HD that I just built and put it on my PC and get the "Windows was shut down abnormally" error. I tell it to start with the last know good configuration. NO GOOD it freezes up. I have even tried starting in safe mode and it still locks up.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? If so hows can I get XP home to completely install.

No keep in mind everything I have install windows XP Home on this computer before with no problems.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Fisherkat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fisherkat

Post 3+ Months Ago

No one has any ideas??
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

The phantom network card!

Try taking your modem out before installing.
  • Fisherkat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fisherkat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have removed the nic card that I had in there. I don't have a phone modem in there. I do have a built in ethernet card on my mother board. Could that be the problem? If so how do I turn it off? Also would deleting the boot sector my hard drive work?
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can disable the on board network card by entering your CMOS at boot-up.

You can also boot into safe mode by pressing F8 during boot and selecting SAFE MODE. This should stop windows from trying to load any network drivers.

More on accessing windows safe mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02
  • Fisherkat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fisherkat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks will try this after work today. Will keep posted
  • Xebec1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Xebec1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same problem but solved. Consistently stopped installing at 31 minutes during network installation phase. Repeated 3 times withsame results. Then disconnected the network cable that had been attached throughout the process and it finished the installation on the next try! Have not been further to see if all items were installed. (Looking for my activation key :( )

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts