problems since installing PS2 with STEAM!

• Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0
  • Loc: Montréal

Post 3+ Months Ago

*excuse my english

My system is set up to dl the windows patches automatically, so the 21st Sept. it downloaded the infamous PS2... (I have XP family)

Since then here is a bunch or programs that don't work anymore
Then I will tell you what I did exactly that might have caused all that
Then I will tell you what I tried so far (so u don't repeat same answers)

Programs not working:
-(unable to load language source) When I reboot
-ATI Player (the whole ATI media) - error (unable to load language source)
-media player (when I click directly on a clip, instead of opening the clip it opens the previous clip I played... :? )

-Parameters panel (unable to load language source)
-STEAM (its the program for Half-Life and Half-Life MoD games)
-Internet explorer ( I don't have a copy here of the exact message but in the address bar it shows something like "http://file/internetexplorer.exe" :?: ) and blank page...
-Kazaa Lite/ ATI player not working (saying files missing)

What happened before the problems:

I Installed SP2, then I got this "security" new option telling me I got a firewall but I needed a "anti-virus" program . . . So I thought mine wasn't good enough so I clicked on microsoft reccomendations and downloaded ez-something. Once I installed it it told me that my computer might have spywares so just for the hell of it I installed the li'l program they proposed.

Then STEAM that I play every night was telling me it wasn't available, I thought servers might been full because they just released a patch. Also all the in red problems appeared

First attempt:

After 2 days not being able to update my STEAM I realised something was wrong (didn't cared too much about other symptoms). I removed the firewall, then gave access to STEAM.exe... nothing... So I did a system restore of before I installed SP2. My STEAM COULD WORK AND UPDATE!!!
after that, all was working except all new problems arrive the BLUE ones

2nd Attempt

Actually I did a bunch of restoring and tests, finally I end up restoring at before I put SP2, (with the blue errors) and from there I installed PS2... Now Im Im completely screwd, I GOT ALL PROBLEMS TOGETHER!!! the blue and the red :shock: !!! :!:

Heres yet 2 solutions I need to try tonight...

From STEAM forums:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bi ... 1094271654

this might also help me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp

Thats all I could find so far... PLEASE HELP ME!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Nitr0, welcome to Ozzu!.

Don't know wich software MS suggested you to use, but try uninstalling both and see if that solve some of your problems.

If you don't have and AV installed I can recommend you Grisoft AVG, they have a free version and I've been using it for a long time with no problems. Check it out at http://www.grisoft.com

As for spyware removal or preventive software take a look at this post here in Ozzu so you can learn how to protect your system:
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic31034.html

For future spyware prevention, we use Spywareblaster, check it out too:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SP2 is known to have a lot of trouble with some programs, even some from MS itself, we have to check if there's a patch or a solution for every case. Check this topic here with some information 'bout SP2 we already gather:
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic30544.html

As for STEAM, looks like a TCP connections problem, SP2 limit the number of concurrent connections to 10, and this seems to affect a lot of games out there. Again check this topic and follow their instructions:
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic31179.html

Using WinsockXPFix as you stated could help too.

Try all this and see if it work, don't hesitate to come back here if you have more questions

Cheers
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will Do! thanks u for the prompt answer...

Oh could u clearify
Quote:
Don't know wich software MS suggested you to use, but try uninstalling both and see if that solve some of your problems.

it only suggested me AV's I took "ez-guard". The spyware scanning was a online scan... I already use the lavasoft one since a while now..

Im reading all the realted topics suggested thx!

ps: oh yeah and what about the language source error message? (my system is in french btw...)
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This my opinion (so it does not count ) Never ever let your operating
system take on the responsibility on updating your OS, IT's YourS..
Whats going to happen's once they figure out how to compromise ,
MS's auto update ,and you start downloading the newest worm out there. You should be taking a min. when there is new updates ,and looking
at them to see if there okay for you.Do a search on that update ,and
see if anyone is having a problem with it. You do it manualy ! If you can
get on Steam (POS Client) everynight ,then you can check a windows
update....You are now in the boat that a lot of people are in! And the best
way to get out is (Fdisk ,Reformat,and install your OS again) should take
for XP PRO ,90mins...And as soon as your finished ,go into services ,and shut off windows updates ,till you figure what you want to do ...Other than that ,I don't no what to tell you ,I don't no what your PC skills are ,
I don't no how bad your OS is hosed now ..(this is a lesson that alot of people are learning the hardway by letting MS take control of downloading ServicePack 2 onto your PC ( Kinda like Russian Roulette)
It's up to around 12% of the downloads of SP2 don't Take .

I'll help you reformat it if you want (but just remember if you have never
done this ) you have alot of work after the OS is installed !
Motherboard chip drivers , sound drivers, Direct X 9, Video card Drivers,
Antivirus software ,Then you start installing all of your other software,games,steam,aim,any video or audio software ,,,and the list goes on ...all that has to re-installed after the OS is installed.

In the time that you have taken to try to correct it in some haphazard
way ! you could of wiped it ,re-installed it ,and you would have been on your way .
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

ur pretty scary...

I will reformat if really that is my last option, because I really dont feel re-installing everything!!! OH GAWD please NO! (or I might just buy a 2nd HD).

As for MS auto update... what can I do? SP2 was a one time download, its not like if I could slowly and manually install it lil step by lil step and analyse everything before I do... Its just a huge patch that ask u to be patient for more then an hour, with no questions asked.

Call me a fool but I do believe that MS arent there to destroy my machine, they actually made that patch for all the Joe Bloe's in the world that got infected by the jet and others new sophisticated spybots... And most of those Joe Bloe,s dont know how ad-aware programs work or AV's.... so their making that lil "security for dummies" bundle to help them out.

______

Btw, I remember removing my Java in windows... maybe that has sumthin to do...

_____

Oh yeah and remind me the reformat procedures, I havent done it yet with XP... I might end up doing it :(
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is hard I know, but not that hard. A clean install (reformating your HD) should be your last option. In the mean time check this MS article regarding your language resource problem, it is for win 98 not for win Xp, but the symptoms are the same (conflicts with ATI Multimedia):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299929

Follow that procedure and reinstall ATI Multimedia and we can then continue with your next error. *wink

Nitr0 wrote:
Oh could u clearify
Quote:

it only suggested me AV's I took "ez-guard". The spyware scanning was a online scan... I already use the lavasoft one since a while now..

Ok, if you already installed ez-guard is ok, just try to keep its virus database updated by checking for updates often
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It is hard I know, but not that hard. A clean install (reformating your HD) should be your last option. In the mean time check this MS article regarding your language resource problem, it is for win 98 not for win Xp, but the symptoms are the same (conflicts with ATI Multimedia):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;299929

makes sense... My XP is installed over my windows98...
yeah Ill try all that tonight, for now Im still at my office.

I'm restarting my online gaming community, and this weekend was supposed to be our first gathering for BattleFront and getting ready for HL2.

I need my machine to update all our servers with radmin, I need to install the new ventrillo, the game on 1 server and update Natural-Selection version ( a HL mod) on a 2nd server... I was supposed to do that last night, but because of SP2 Im pretty late in my schedule...

Anyway, I love these forums, very nice answers so far, so Im might hugging them all night! :wink:
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

MY HD IS NOW FULL WTH!?
is it because I did too much restoring?
I had like 5 gig left last time I checked and now not even 1 ! ! !

how can I recupereated space? I dont have so much installed, surely not 39 gig!!!

HeeeEEEELP!!!
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess not scary enough,if your still trying to make a decission on what to do .lol

Thats why next time ,you burn all your stuff onto disks ,so if you get the hankering to install SP2 again anytime soon (like you didn't learn the first time ) you can install everything back quickly ,after you re-install the OS.
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

Im about to give up and reformat!
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look Nitr0, download HiJack This from here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

Do not run Hijack This from a temporary folder. HJT makes backups for items that are fixed. Any backups saved in a temporary folder run the risk of being deleted. Backups are important in case a previous fix needs to be restored. It's best to make a permanent folder: C:\HJT this for example. Any place other than a temporary folder is fine. Run Hijack This, scan and post you log here, let me take a look a it.

You have your own anti-virus program installed now, please update it and do a complete scan.
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 18:49:45, on 2004-09-24
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\SpeedswitchXP\SpeedswitchXP.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\hijack\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = NOT USED (OK)
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = NOT USED (OK)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = NOT USED (OK)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = NOT USED (OK)
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = NOT USED (OK)
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Liens
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATI DeviceDetect] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpeedswitchXP] C:\Program Files\SpeedswitchXP\SpeedswitchXP.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Documents and Settings\DI\Bureau\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Protection auto Norton AntiVirus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Navnt\NAVAPW32.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Anti-Virus&Trojan.lnk = C:\Program Files\Anti-Virus&Trojan\Anti-Virus&Trojan.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/12119/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/12119/CTPID.cab

HEELP!
I got 770 mo left now!!! and I deleted some stuff!
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooookay let see,

I solved my HD space prob, I needed to disable the restoring option.

I gained 12 gig doing this...

I solved the "unable to load language source" when trying to open the control panel. (thanks for the link labrego !

I still got the error message "unable to load language source" when I try to open ATI player, but I cannot delete it for some reasons...

Im now gonna try to make steam work, trying the port thinghie...

Thanks so far Lab!!! (and others)
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome Nitr0, PM's are a faster than posting here but is good to drop some feedbak here just in case someone else have the same problem and finds it.
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok...

I still got my explorer prob and media... :(

this is the shortcut of my ie icon
"res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://files/Internet%20Explorer/iexplore.exe"

...weird....
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi again Nitr0

Some questions and comments here to uncluter this thread.

1- Correct this list if is wrong:

- "unable to load language source" When I reboot - NOT FIXED
- ATI Player (the whole ATI media) - error (unable to load language source) - FIXED
- media player (when I click directly on a clip, instead of opening the clip it opens the previous clip I played... ) - NOT FIXED
- Parameters panel (unable to load language source) - FIXED
- STEAM (its the program for Half-Life and Half-Life MoD games) - NOT FIXED
- Internet explorer ( I don't have a copy here of the exact message but in the address bar it shows something like "http://file/internetexplorer.exe" ) and blank page... - NOT FIXED

2-
Nitr0 wrote:
"res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://files/Internet%20Explorer/iexplore.exe"

Where is this shortcut located? in your desktop? in your start menu? Try to replace it with this "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

3- Which solution you use to correct the "languange not found" problem? 1) Reinstall all ATI Media 2) Renamed MMCPL.CPL control panel file. If you used number two I suggest you follow the instructions to reinstall ATI Media.

4- What error text do you get when you try tu use STEAM? I need it to research for a solution.
  • Nitr0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nitr0

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
Hi again Nitr0

Some questions and comments here to uncluter this thread.

1- Correct this list if is wrong:

- "unable to load language source" When I reboot - NOT FIXED
- ATI Player (the whole ATI media) - error (unable to load language source) - FIXED WASNT FIXED
- media player (when I click directly on a clip, instead of opening the clip it opens the previous clip I played... ) - NOT FIXED
- Parameters panel (unable to load language source) - FIXED
- STEAM (its the program for Half-Life and Half-Life MoD games) - NOT FIXED
- Internet explorer ( I don't have a copy here of the exact message but in the address bar it shows something like "http://file/internetexplorer.exe" ) and blank page... - NOT FIXED

2-
Nitr0 wrote:

Where is this shortcut located? in your desktop? in your start menu? Try to replace it with this "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

3- Which solution you use to correct the "languange not found" problem? 1) Reinstall all ATI Media 2) Renamed MMCPL.CPL control panel file. If you used number two I suggest you follow the instructions to reinstall ATI Media.

4- What error text do you get when you try tu use STEAM? I need it to research for a solution.

2) Renamed MMCPL.CPL control panel file. If you used number two I suggest you follow the instructions to reinstall ATI Media.
YES!

Would just tell me what that steam is unavailable for the moment... Wich wasnt true.

How I solved most of things

HOW TO GAIN BACK SOME SPACE ON THE HD!

After doing a couple of "system restores" I realised my HD was full... By removing the "restore option" it will deltes all temporary files and restoration points... It free me 10 GIG ! ! !

Language Problems

Im a French Canadian so most of my programs are. The problem I had with ATI and the panel control was caused (as for the microsoft explanaition) by a language incompatibility between the program my OS. I rename that MMCPL.CPL file, however it only solved the error on the control panel. Not on ATI linked program and on the reboot. Looks like PS2 also creates conflicts.

To solve it, I simply changed the region of my computer, I put it English American and it solved most of it. Then my new game (battlefront) didnt wanted to work after AALLL THIS!

Conclusion !!! FUK SP2 ! ! !

YOU GO IN CONTROL PANEL, ADD/DELETE PROGRAM, TICK "LATEST UPGRADES" ON THE UP SIDE OF THE WINDOWS AND DELETE! ! !

Boom!!!! no more SP2 ! ! !

Then my graphic card died because of the damn RadLinker Tweaks, I was unable to remove them correcly, and windows would install them unproperly until "BOOM" BLACKSCREEN! gee to the gee ! !!

I had to play my game with the lil rest of my weekend on a Radeon 7200...

Im so pissed that this week Im shopping for a whole new machine!
  • spock4
  • Born
  • Born
  • spock4

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if you found the solution already, but it's quite simple.
Just go to your registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
you will find the value of the default and it should be "%1" %*
yours will probably be %1 %*
so you have to add the quotes

on some pc's this is changed by SP2, on others it isn't. Don't ask me why ;-)

Greetz,
Spock4

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts