IE problems.

• Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

As of today everytime my browser (IE) loads a page the little green bar at the bottom stays at full but isnt actually done, forcing me to wait for it to finish for about 7-10 seconds. I have a lot of pop-ups and spyware on my computer currently that I am trying to remove. Its been hell just trying to get to this page to post this question and it will be hell trying to get back. Its not my connection since I have been doing other non-browser related things on the internet (games mainly).

My computer is running XP. 2.8 GHZ Intel P4, 512 Ram (Corsair), 120 GB Hard drive. If any more specs are needed please ask.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if your computer is infested with syware get rid of it, either with adaware, or spybot S&D. Also if you are using IE I would recomend you switch browsers. Finally, are you using Dial-up or high speed?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you said, your computer's running a lot of popups & spyware apps...

I'm gonna assume it's one of those that's screwing up your connection - many of them mess directly with IE.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Side Note -- get rid of Kazaa. I'm going to take a stab in the dark that you have it, and it is probably the primary cause of all the spyware you refered to.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

imesh also gives u over 300 peices and 2 other smaller programs (top text and my search bar)
  • Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Comcast cable internet (still having problems with that from my previous post)

I used Spyware S&D before I posted the original question and it did nothing. Although it did remove about 12 programs.

I know kazaa is loaded with it and I personally use Kazaa Lite.

Like when I started posting this reply, I get about half of a second where I can click around (cursor blinks a couple of times) and then the little green bar goes to full and stalls there for about 6 seconds (cursor stops blinking).

Is there anyway to clean out everything I have on IE and basically just uninstall it and reinstall it? Or is it impossible because its part of the OS?
I might have to switch browers. Thx for the replies
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started thinking about this and you may be having the same problem I was having that I finally resolved a couple days ago. I posted it elsewhere here in part, but here's what I did to resolve essentially the same thing.

I'm not sure about XP but with Win2K IE6 SP1 set the default temp file size to aproximately 1.1 GB cache. As my cache approached that mark, I started experiencing what you described. I reset my temp file size to 50 MB and cleared cache. As an added note, I had to reboot I think 3 times, because each time my computer froze when I hit the clear cache button. I finally just deleted all the temp files manually.

In addition, my browser kept closing on me for no apparent reason and restarting with an "unkown" error. I finally did an IE repair to fix that as well. I'm not sure if the two were related.

Hope that helps.

BTW -- in case you don't know how - to repair IE, go to Control Panel | Add Remove software. Select IE6 SP1 and click change/remove. Click the repair option. Let it do it's thing and reboot when prompted.
  • Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did the temp file remove and it worked. Yay! Thx a bunch. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts