Problems with Broadband router- Linksys

• FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah...
I have a broadband router by linksys, model BEFW11S4, and I've been having problems with Kazaa since i installed it. Its not that kazaa wont download stuff, just that alot of times it says connecting for like 30 minutes than it downloads really slow. On a good day maybe 2 or 3 kps, but most of the time only like .23 kps or so. And also, when i try to download stuff from the internet sometimes the download stops halfway and doenst work anymore. The internet works fine, so the connection isnt wrong. I went to Kazaa options and looked at what port it uses for incoming connections (under firewall) and it said that it used port 2117, so i went to the linksys setup under, and under advanced i went to remote management and selected enable and typed 2117 for the port...

I really dont know what im doing :(
I know theres been a couple of forums on this topic already, but I couldn't really understand what you were talking about, so on the replies could you possibly make the instructions simple please?

Thanks a lot
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it is your router, mostly because:
Quote:
The internet works fine, so the connection isnt wrong

I personally HATE routers, and you just reminded me I have to call belkin to figure out why mine has to be powercycled every day! grrr
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, that was quick! :D

What do you think is the problem then? Kazaa was working fine before i got the router, and now it has problems on both computers that use the router... and ive tried a bunch of other P2P programs, I.E. Limewire and winMX, but they dont work either...

Thx a bunch!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well actually now that I think of it, it could be your routers firewall. I am really not the person to ask tho! I'd check around in kazaa and look for "firewall" or "proxy" and see what it has to say, I used a linksys with kazaa and it worked fine.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

In kazaa options under firewall, it says use SOCKS5 proxy server and thats unchecked, and i really dont know what that is. Under that it says Incoming Ports, use port 2117 for incoming connections, then under that it says use port 80 as alternative for incoming connectons and thats checked.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't think it has anything do with your router at all. If everything else
works fine, then it's kazaa with the problem. My best guess, cuz this has
happened to me in the past, is that kazaa's version was out of date.
Believe it or not, if you're on an older version of kazaa then it will give
you problems. Check that and make sure.

Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest cuz I seriously doubt it's the
router if you never changed any settings.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Kazaa Lite ++ and its the latest version out... But i did change one of the settings on the router but i did it to try to figure out why kazaa wasnt working... under Advanced, and where it says Remote Management I changed it from Disable to Enable and for the port i typed 2117 because thats the port that kazaa uses.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I would change it back to how it was. Remote management simply lets you access your router from somewhere outside your LAN. By enabling and using the same port as kazaa, you might actually be causing conflicts and creating more problems. So I would disable it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

as bigweb said, that's probably part of the conflict. I would reset all your
settings and features back to default. tthere's no real reason for a
casual, normal surfer to have tight settings. It's only gonna cause you
headaches.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx, Ill try that and see what happens...
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok... I've set everything to the defaults, and now when I try to download stuff it just says connecting, than doesnt connect, which is odd because the downloads that were going before, though reeaaally slowly, keep downloading. So i think its a problem with initiating the connection or something like that.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

try disconnecting your router and trying it again. that would at least let
you know it's something with the router or not and not just a coincidence.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep. Kazaa, bittorrent, ect, works fine without the broadband router...
I just noticed this, on the router, the LED for the internets flickering, like really fast so that it almost seems like its not if u just look at it, does that mean anything?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

somewhere on your router is a reset button. I would suggest resetting
your router then.

kinda stuck for any other suggestions here tho....
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah... I tried the reset button, but it didn't appear to do anything...
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

No ideas anyone?
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok... I figured out how to configure my router so that Bittorrent works... heres what i did

-opened the internet browser, type 192.168.1.1 as the address
- go to "advanced" tab
- got to "forwarding" tab
- typed "BT" for Customized Application,
- typed 6881 in the first Ext. Port, and type 6889 in the second ext. port
- tick the protocol TCP
- typed in your IP Address in the IP Address box
- tick the Enable box
- pressed apply button

yeah i got these directions from one of my friends... so does this give any of you any ideas on how to get kazaa to work? cause although bittorrent works fine, and i get speeds up to like 120 kps on it, kazaa still doesnt work well. :(
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have no idea, in all of my knowledge and experience, why you had to
do all of that. and if you have to do that again to get kazaa to work, I
wouldn't be surprised if you have to do it a lot more in the future with
other programs.

The only time I'm had to work with those settings is for accessing my
pc remotely through my router. Glad you got that much working though.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember someone else posting about this. He too had the EXACT same problem. He had a Linksys router as well. I also, have a Linksys router and I download ALL the time and never get disconnected. So, basicly I think it is either the router model or something of that. I really think it is the router OR your actual cable/DSL modem. Next time this problem occurs check your ACTUALL modem and see if it is reading the cable connection. There should be a lite that will be on that lets you know if it is connected. Anyways, if that is not on after it disconnects again than the only thing I can think of is that your Cable/DSL is running too hot. I am guessing you using cable internet (I don't know crap about DSL). If that is the case than you need to call your cable company to come out and fix it. If you are running a DSL than that is probably the problem. The only thing that makes sence to me is that the router is shutting down due to strain from downloading. I have no idea man. It's one of thoughs problems that can be a million things.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

well on my router, the LED for Internet is flickering (im not sure if that means anything) and on my cable modem, the LEDs for Power, Cable, and PC are on, but the LED for Data is flashing off and on. Everthings green. Bittorrent seems to be working fine, but kazaa isnt.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well flashing is fine. It's the NO light at all that would be a problem. I see another person post about this too so this would be 3 on this subject. I have no idea why it works for me. Give me a while and I will give you ALL my settings on my Kazaa and see if that helps.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I just remembered something. I remember about 2 weeks ago that my router disconnected for some reason. I remember that I was downloading from Kazaa. Anyways, I think I know what it is. I bet you have the new version of Kazaa lite I believe.. The newer Kazaa has a bunch of crap that comes with it when you download. One of the things I keep seeing is P2P sharing network or something like that and another that shows up on your task bar by your clock that is yellow and orange looking. Try closing all that crap then try downloading from Kazaa. I am about 85% sure that is what it is. I believe that Linksys picks it up as someone trying to access your computer and the router's firewall just disconnects to prevent it. Anyways, try that and let me know if that fixes it.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i have the lates version of kazaa lite, but theirs no yellow orange icon in my task bar.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well push Ctrl + Alt + Delete and see if there is something that says P2P SHARING or something like that in your processes. Just look for all through your processes and if you see anything that you don't know about than close it (anything but stuff that says SYSTEM in User Name if your using Windows XP).
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, i know what that is! i can remove it with the add/remove programs applications... ill let u know what happens
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

well actually, it says p2p networking.... im not sure if i need that or not
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that's it! I always close it. All I figure is that it has to be some little program or something that came with the Kazaa update download.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, i cant delete it, because when i try to remove the programs, it says Kazaa is dependnt on it and that if i remove it kazaa wont work...
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I figured that. I know there is something else that I am most sertain is the problem behind all this crap. I would have to restart my computer to find it but my computer litterally takes 15 minutes to reboot. Usually I only need to reboot my computer once a week, if that. If I do end up rebooting I will tell you what it is ASAP.
  • FireIsFun888
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FireIsFun888

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts